Spark plugs saturated with gas

Fmart

Recruit
Have a 1989 OMC Cobra 4.3 L engine, if the engine doesn't start on the first crank it gets flooded out. I have to remove the spark plugs and dry them out put them back in and then usually it'll start after about 30 minutes. Any ideas how to solve this problem. I'm spending more times trying to start it that I am riding it on the lake. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... What carb is on it,..??

What's yer process of startin' it,..??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think they were still using Rochester carbs then either 2 bbl or 4 bbl...they switched to Holley the next year I think...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	8 Size:	131.4 KB ID:	10854959Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	3 Size:	169.8 KB ID:	10854960
If its flooding then you need to most likely do a complete carb cleaning and rebuild. The 2bbl is pretty simple (Rochester 2GV) but the 4bbl (Rochester 4MV) a bit more complex....your problem sounds like a bad needle valve, grit in the needle valve holding it open, mis adjusted float, or float too heavy holding gas....In any case this is what you gotta do...or find an old timer like me who can do it....lol....
havin' done both a Holley 4160 and a Q-Jet, I found the Q-Jet easier despite rumors and statements to the contrary...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Q-jets also had the welsh plugs come loose and leak

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I heard that, but never had that problem with this one, I think that was solved in production long ago....