Spark Plug Not on

shhh

Cadet
I have a 87 omc 5.7l gm 350. launched the boat out on sunday and started to head up the river no more then ten mins. it seemed to lose power. not much just alittle where u could notice it. first i was just think a tune up but after i got home and did a look over i noticed one of my spark plug wire was not on. Would that cause the power lose, would that mess up the motor at all?

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Spark Plug Not on

i should idle rough and run kind of bad. i am shocked it wasnt bad enough for you to look at the engine and see that something wasnt right. when i am out and about if something goes wrong first place i look is the engine to make sure theres oil wires are all on and the temp on the risers is ok. i would think snap it back on it will run good unless you did any damage to the cylinder running it with out fireing.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You forgot a spark plug? :facepalm:

shhh

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I don't know if that was the problem or not can't get the boat out till Saturday to find out.

just run it curb side and see if its runnning rough. There wont be any significant damage from it missing on one cylinder, just a lot of raw fuel being dumped.

shhh

Cadet

just run it curb side and see if its runnning rough. There wont be any significant damage from it missing on one cylinder, just a lot of raw fuel being dumped.

should I do an oil change or would it be alright to run it

shhh

Cadet

Pull the dipstick. If the oil smells like gas , do an oil change.

yeah it smelt like gas. what would be the best oil to use. I pretty much use it on the weekend with outside temp between 70-100. Thanks for the help

In the OMC manuals it says
32* and above SAE 30 is recomended
0* to 32* SAE 20W is recomended
Below 0* SAE 10W is recomended

I would go with sierra SAE 30 full synthetic marine engine oil. I get it at Westmarine and it does the job.