Southern Chesapeake Hotspots

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Everyone, <br /> I familiar with the Upper Chesapeake but next weekend am in a rockfish(striper) tournament out of the lower bay. Any tips, tricks, or info is appreciated!

pbailey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Southern Chesapeake Hotspots

Where in the lower bay are you going to be fishing???<br /><br />pbailey

pbailey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's been awhile since I fished that area, But The most reliable spot in that area for the bigger ones is at the gas dock to the north of the Patuxent River about five miles. <br /><br />Further up the bay there is the discharge from calvert cliffs power plant. <br /><br />I've fished this area later in the fall, October to November time frame, but structure is structure and if they are around in any numbers they should be there. Get there as early as you can because the place loads up with boats quickly.<br /><br />We just used buck tails and such, but the last time I was there people were doing better with live bait eels, bunkers and spot. If the blue fish are around you will need plenty.<br /><br />You might see people fishing at the Ceder Point rips to the south, but my experience is that the fish are really small there.<br /><br />There might also be restrictions about how close you can fish to the gas dock thanks to Osama.<br /><br />pbailey

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. Now all I can only hope everything is still on with the hurricane in the forecast.

pbailey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How did you do???<br /><br />Went out today at point no point and got into all the breaking blue fish one could handle.<br /><br />pbailey

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Wish I could say I even went. They called off the tournament thursday due to Isabel. Saturday and Sunday were some of the nicest days of the year! I was out all day monday above the bridge in the dumping grounds and caught about 60 rock, 3 keepers mixed in with some blues also. Even an attractive toadfish. I'll be back out again this weekend hoping for some nice weather.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

attractive TOADFISH???<br /><br />aint they OYSTER CRACKERS?<br /><br />I aint never seen no attractive oyster cracker, I tell you what!<br /><br />well, unless its tied into a minnie trap, lol, apparently oyster crackers eat crabs, cause crabs wont mess with a cracker carcass