Southern Catfishing

MRS

Commander
Re: Southern Catfishing

99 I fish for stripers with cut bait anchovies and when in the shallow water always seem to get one or two 3 to 4 pounds on the anchovies even in the middle of the day. :)

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Southern Catfishing

Probably no doubt that big cats love cut bait and deep water. The only problem with that around here is the availability of cut bait and deep water. I prefer to buy the chicken hearts and livers at the meat shop because it is a lot easier than going out and trying to catch something to cut up or try to locate some commercial fisherman who might or might not have any to sell. <br /><br />Where I fish, the water is only 8 - 12 feet deep (if you are lucky) depending on the time of the year and the river stages. Mostly what we catch is catfish anywhere from 4 - 14 pounds which is plenty big for me. Guess we don't do too bad most of the time. <br /><br />Basically, when the cats are moving and feeding, they will just about eat anything. Even have caught them on ivory soap back in the old days. Never did have much luck with worms though but do know some people who like to use them. They don't last long enough on the hook to suite me and other fish, such as bream, are always trying to sneak the worms off the hook.<br /><br />Best thing about the cats is....no matter what the size, as long as you can catch them, they all taste good!<br /><br />Good luck and good fishing!!