Southbay vs. Sweetwater

snbigbie

Recruit
We are new to the pontoon world and have finally narrowed our search down. But we need some help from others who are pontoon owners. So here is our dilemma....

Option 1. Southbay 522CR with 90hp motor

Option 2. Sweetwater 220 premium with 90hp motor

Both are similar in pricing but have some concerns about retail value in the future.

We also liked the Bennington S series 24sl with the same motor but they wanted $3k more for it with less options.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Southbay vs. Sweetwater

We are new to the pontoon world and have finally narrowed our search down. But we need some help from others who are pontoon owners. So here is our dilemma....

Option 1. Southbay 522CR with 90hp motor

Option 2. Sweetwater 220 premium with 90hp motor

Both are similar in pricing but have some concerns about retail value in the future.

We also liked the Bennington S series 24sl with the same motor but they wanted $3k more for it with less options.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We just trades in our Sweetwater on a new Berkshire and the Sweetwater never gave us any trouble. The Southbay is a very good boat also, you won't go wrong on either one.

The Rooster

Ensign

Both are nice rigs "snbigbie". Berkshire & SouthBay, same company !!! Good luck.

marcuspcarr

Recruit

We just went through 4 months of research and spent 5 days at the boat show crawling all over the pontoon boats.

In the end we choose a South Bay 522FCR with a 115hp. In the end, I felt the South Bay had a better construction quality than the sweetwater we looked at and the warranty was better. It should be here in a few weeks.

We also went with the soft touch option of the south bay, which gives it a nicer feel than what the 220 had. The feel is more inline with what the sanpans felt like.

I know you are getting the CR version, but I also liked the fishing console on the FCR better than what Sweetwater was offering.

I am sure either boat would have been great, but after 5 days of looking at every weld, connection, etc, I feel we made the right choice for us.

Marcus

WILD MAN

Recruit

We have a 2008 Southbay 822CR and could not be more happy it is well made and rides like a dream, also South Bay has been very good to us after the sale, they replaced the whole capt. chair with a new one when the recline function broke and when I asked for new speaker covers when the chrome came off ours they sent me a brand new set of speakers not just the covers, with no questions asked. I would buy another South Bay again but as well as this one is made I don't think I'll have to.

Johnny Knoxville

Seaman Apprentice

I vote with my money, no Warren Buffet/Berkshire Hathaway products for me.

I did a Bennington two weeks ago and cosidered the same boats you did oh and Manitou also.