South Chatham Tackle reel winder opinion

zool

Captain
Any of u guys have experience with their reel winder II/super spooler?

Im considering ordering one of their setups, but undecided between with or without line counter. Its a $140.00 increase just adding the digital counter, which seem to always fail after a short time, at least the cheap china ones do, not sure of where they get theirs.

Aside from the counter, has anyone used one of these setups for trolling reels from 15 to 50w?.

I used to just bring them into the store for spooling, but want to play around with different braids and top shots at home.

reelwinder ll/superspooler
1669157218291.png

reelwinder ll/superspooler/line counter

1669157259225.png

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looked into buying one several years ago.

In the end, couldn’t convince myself that I’m saving any money. Made a spool holder that mounts on the garage wall to spool my trolling tackle.

Ended up loading all my trolling reels with braid. Have done nothing except change out the top shot in the past 5 years. Glad I didn’t spend the money at this point.

Just take my casting reels down to the shop once a season to get respooled. Can hardly buy the line for what the shop charges me to strip and spool

zool

Captain
Yeah i hear you, its was easy to just bring them in when i lived down the road from decent shops. Where im at now, its a good hour or two to find shop with a rig for bigger reels. I have a lot of spreads so one big trip to the shop is gonna be costly with all that braid, plus a pain to haul it all. The gear has been in storage for a number of years cuz I took a break from offshore. Im about to start up again so everthing will be a full respool :(

Im just figuring I can do like 4 or 5 here and there throughout the winter.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yeah i hear you, its was easy to just bring them in when i lived down the road from decent shops. Where im at now, its a good hour or two to find shop with a rig for bigger reels. I have a lot of spreads so one big trip to the shop is gonna be costly with all that braid, plus a pain to haul it all. The gear has been in storage for a number of years cuz I took a break from offshore. Im about to start up again so everthing will be a full respool :(

Im just figuring I can do like 4 or 5 here and there throughout the winter.
I had 20 trolling reels to spool with braid. Saved a bunch of money buying 3,000 meter bulk spools.

Used a hand drill and a wooden dowel to strip the reel.
Laid down several layers #80 dacron to protect the spool then topped off with the braid followed by a 25’ wind on leader.

Didn’t take long with my setup to wind the line on by hand.
Did a couple a reels a night after work. Didn’t take long to complete.

zool

Captain
I was thinking I need some mono or something on the spool under the braid, I guess for slippage.

Ill probably go with a hundred or so feet of Diamond or Monster over a decent braid I can find a good deal on in bulk.