Source for mooring chain/hardware?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
My 1/2" mooring chain let me know today that its lifespan is 15 years...
So I figure this is a good time to replace all the hardware. Anyone have a good source for mooring chain/hardware? I've been using big box light chain, since I replace it every couple of years anyway.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The best price will likely be online, maybe even amazon. Galvanized chain with the yearly application of cold galvanizing paint to cover any rust, should last decades.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use a local hardware company up in St Pete area for stainless chain- Pinellas fastener. 1/2 the cost of amazon. check your local directory.

anchoring dot com for the line

tpenfield

Staff member
@nola mike I had some trouble finding the correct size (small link) chain when I added a windlass to my Formula 330. Everything at the big box stores and online was 'standard' link size.

I finally found some at North Falmouth Hardware, (tell them I sent ya :LOL: )

So, try the local hardware stores or marine centers. It might be pricey, but probably worth it.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
@nola mike I had some trouble finding the correct size (small link) chain when I added a windlass to my Formula 330. Everything at the big box stores and online was 'standard' link size.

I finally found some at North Falmouth Hardware, (tell them I sent ya :LOL: )

So, try the local hardware stores or marine centers. It might be pricey, but probably worth it.
Yeah, unfortunately a) most of the local stores have been bought out by bigger places (doh, except one, that I'm now realizing that I forgot!) that all carry the same stuff and b) nobody does their own work anymore apparently, so this type of thing isn't stocked anymore. The only people that have this stuff are few specialized contractors that do it. I'm having the same problem finding heavy duty 8-10" galvanized carriage bolts/nuts/washers for a deck repair on the water...

Thanks, didn't see that site when searching. Ended up just ordering from amazon. Saved me some drive time at least.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Next time your down here, we can head up to St Pete and I can show you a few marine hardware places

airshot

Rear Admiral
You guys must be in salt water with your short lived chains. My anchor chain is over 20 yrs old and looks new, but only used in fresh water !!

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Next time your down here, we can head up to St Pete and I can show you a few marine hardware places
Sounds like an expensive carry on
You guys must be in salt water with your short lived chains. My anchor chain is over 20 yrs old and looks new, but only used in fresh water !!
Brackish. The heavy chain isn't in terrible shape, but the shackle to the mooring rubbed through. There was definite wear though, so figured I might as well replace it and the rest of the tackle. The light chain I replace every 3 years or so, the lower links abrade and the upper links that are in/out of the water rust. The actual mooring, which is a screw type mooring and is probably > 30 years old, still looks to be in great shape. Even though I have the lift now, the mooring is more convenient, and when the water gets real rough it's easier to moore it. Somebody down here had one of the guideposts on his lift go straight through his hull last year.