Soon to be New Boater with questions UPDATE no longer soon to be

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We are being offered a GREAT deal on a 1996 Ebbtide Mystique 2100 with around 400 hrs well maintained & stored.

I have searched & found a little info but wanted to know if others would share their experiences as to if this is a good first boat. Also I can't find much info on the difference between Mystique vs Campione

Always wanted a Boat just never have purchased due to all the people that say their are two best days as a boat owner. Didn't want to loose a ton of money incase.

Thanks I am sure I will have lots of questions unfortunately.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Soon to be New Boater with questions

you have found the motherload of information here. I am also a noobie and the iboats crowd are the best. They will gladly answer any question you have. The best and most important advice you will recieve is to go through a boater safety course. If you do have questions there is also a great library of old posts to pull knowledge from. Take a few hours and navigate the site, your knowledge will increase by just reading the things posted.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I had a ol Ebbtide.. It was a good tub... How great a deal is it??? Details:cool:

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

due to all the people that say their are two best days as a boat owner. Didn't want to loose a ton of money incase..

Well it is a expensive hobby.. I love the day I sale one, and am miserable till I get the next one... The key to the love of boating.. Is going boating often..

Last edited:

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a ol Ebbtide.. It was a good tub... How great a deal is it??? Details:cool:

We have a long time client/friend we will be trading out our companies service with so we will not have much actual Cash involved.We actually almost purchased it once before but they had second thoughts & money wasn't great in our business then.

The boat has been meticulously maintained with service records. In the prime season it is in a private dock on a boat lift. In the winter it is stored in a heated garage.

We have went out on the boat a few times& seen it when it was first purchased so we know more about it than we could any other used boat.

Thanks for the replies even though I have been on boats many times I will be a newbie for sure & I already have been studying the safety course material.

Ps. We are already avid yuppie campers & MTB riders so we figure the boat will fit right in & if it doesn't we can sell it & not loose like on a new one.

cr2k

Captain

The only way to test the water, so to speak, is to jump in. With the minimal investment you should do OK either way.

Do continue maintainence. That is the most important item with a boat.
Many people will tell you they just put gas in and go boating and have done so for years. When the day comes those people will have a boat that is in need of so much work it will be abandon.

But as stated the best way to enjoy boating is to go go go boating. Invite friends, plan outings.

Don't be shy. Ask any questions you may have. The only stupid questions are the ones you should have asked before you got in the situation you needed the answer for yesterday.

When asking any questions be sure to include make/model of engine and drive. And pictures. We like lots of pictures.

Welcome to iBoats we are here to help!

hostage

Lieutenant

The two best days in a boaters life quote comes from people buying a boat that doesn't meet there needs, they over paid, or bought a lemon and never really had an idea of how fun boating can be.

Doing research and asking a lot of questions is the best way to be happy. If you do the research and follow the advise the worst case you find out boating isn't for you, before you buy a boat.

iboats is a great place to ask those questions as it has saved me a lot of money as I too am new to boating.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Latest Info

Year 1996
Make Ebbtide
Model 2100 Mystique
Boat Motor Type: Inboard/0utboard
Horsepower 5.7 L Mercury
# of motors 1
Fuel Type: Gas
Length 20',1/4
Trailer Year 1996
Make Model TN Trailer for Ebbtide Dual-axle
Length 25' 6"
JVC Sound system (radio)

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Latest Info

Year 1996
Make Ebbtide
Model 2100 Mystique
Boat Motor Type: Inboard/0utboard
Horsepower 5.7 L Mercury
# of motors 1
Fuel Type: Gas
Length 20',1/4
Trailer Year 1996
Make Model TN Trailer for Ebbtide Dual-axle
Length 25' 6"
JVC Sound system (radio)

Sounds sweet to me.. 350 should push that one right along no problem..
Boat like that runs like 4 to 5 grand down here..

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to be demanding, but it's Friday now, and I still don't see pictures!!
Sorry it took a little longer to post pics I actually had to work some. LOL

We have decided to buy it based on the Inspection & Winterizing this Wednesday. We went out on it yesterday (Sat) & it ran GREAT with no leaks on anything that we could see. Also the interior is in GREAT Shape just needs a good cleaning which we can do with no problem. Exterior seems to be in good shape also but we plan on cleaning & polishing it out.

Only thing I am wondering about is if I can put a universal Wake Tower on it for next season due to location of fuel inlet.

The Trailer is also being maintenanced since we will be using it regularly because we don't live on lake for now.

I also plan on updating the Stereo & buying all the required gear, towables etc.

filename_05.jpg

filename_06.jpg

filename_07.jpg

filename_08.jpg

filename_09.jpg

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

filename_11.jpg

filename_12.jpg

filename_13.jpg

filename_14.jpg

filename_21.jpg

filename_22.jpg

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

filename_25.jpg

filename_29.jpg

filename_33.jpg

filename_35.jpg

filename_54.jpg

filename_55.jpg

sasto

Captain

She looks to be a fine first boat for you. Enjoy!

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Yep you got the bug now

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Most issues have or will be addressed in these forums. These guys are great. Some of the things I have experienced firsthand:

1) Attend a boating safety course. This is a must and you'll learn a lot.

2) Know your boat. Learn how it feels and you'll be the first to realize something is out of whack.

3) Learn how or get the proper maintenance done on schedule. A great boat that runs crappy is a terrible time out on the water. That is the first thing that turns a boat lover into one of those "2 best boating days" guys.

4) Teach the wife/kids how to drive the boat. It not only helps in case of emergency, but keeps them involved and interested. Same goes for the GPS, VHF, grill, etc. Why should it all be on you?

5) If you haven't done it already...TEACH THE KIDS TO FISH!!

6) Tread carefully in unfamiliar territory. Easier on the boat, outdrive, and people if you run aground at an idle vs being up on plane. Never approach anything any faster than you're comfortable hitting it.

7) Keep your boat and engine clean. You won't believe how just washing and waxing it will keep you wanting to use it.

8) Never, ever...ever leave anything in the water other than your wake. A responsible boater is looked upon as a boat captain whereas others just drive boats.

9) Have fun. That's what it's all about.

Anyone else, feel free to add to this list. :)

sasto

Captain

10) Tell the wife the boat is for her. All the money and hard work you put into the boat is for her......Works great around my house. :cool:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig, congrats:)

Looks to be in great shape, except for that skeg. I wonder how that damage happened? Seems to be a case of reversing into something maybe a rock?

That anchor storage on the bow will be very convenient for you when needed, and I'll bet she's fun to drive with that big V8:D

Welcome to iboats!

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

10) Tell the wife the boat is for her. All the money and hard work you put into the boat is for her......Works great around my house.
:cool:

This works... Even though my first one left me cause of the boat.. Oh well used it to move 250miles.. One I have now loves our tub

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

6) Tread carefully in unfamiliar territory. Easier on the boat, outdrive, and people if you run aground at an idle vs being up on plane. Never approach anything any faster than you're comfortable hitting it.

I have hit most stuff slow.Still sucks. Ask people on the lake where the rocks and stumps are.. People who run around out there know(cause they have hit it) and won't mind telling ya... Get a lake Map.. best $8 spent

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

This works... Even though my first one left me cause of the boat.. Oh well used it to move 250miles.. One I have now loves our tub

11. If the wife doesn't like the boat the boat will help you find a new wife? PRICELESS!!