Someone stole my outdrive...

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Someone stole my outdrive (while bolted to the boat).<br /><br />It was an 1987 Alpha one v8.<br /><br />I have a spre 1986 alpa one lower in my shop. <br />WHat uppers (and years) will bolt to both the lower, and my gimbal housing?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />-- Joe

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Someone stole my outdrive...

I Believe you'll need to run an Upper that Matches your Lower......<br />Mod.1's,+ Alpha1's can be run on your gimbal housing...........<br />As Long as you use the Longer Alpha Input Shaft...........<br /><br />iboats was having a Sale on aftermarket Drives, Something like $1500.00, Complete......

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bondo,<br /><br />Will a '79 MR bolt right up or will that need the alpha shaft as well?<br /><br />I can't believe someone actually drove up to my boat, unbolted it, and took off.<br /><br />Yeah it seems a lot of companies are doing complete drives for $1500 shipped now. Problem is, I dont have 1500. :( <br /><br />-- Joe

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have insurance? That should cover at least part of it.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Try homeowners insurance, It doesn't hurt to check.<br /><br />THAT SUCKS.<br /><br />DougV>

Bondo

Staff member

Any of the "R"s or "MR"s will need the Long Input Shaft.......<br />The Short Shaft is a little over 8"s......<br />The Long Shaft is a little over 9"s......

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see.<br /><br />Is a MR drive (around '79) better or worse than a alpha 1 ? <br /><br />I can get a alpha one v8 upper for around $200, and if my spare lower is good use that.<br /><br />Or for around $500 I can get a complete MR outdrive, but then ave to change the driveshaft apparently.<br /><br />As far as insurance goes. The boat was parked in the lot of a garage I rent. No insurance covers the loss. I couldn't even get my buddys to investigate it, and I used to be a cop in that town!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Anesthes, you'r post couldn't have come at a worse time to make me paranoid. I'm having driveway work done (paving the mud hole that was the driveway) and my boat has been sitting down the street in the VFW parking lot for about a week. Every morning I drive by it and check it, I hate not having it in the back yard.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I can't give you any definite answeres about whether the alpha 1 is really any better than an #1/R/MR, but I have a #1 behind a smallblock V8 that is 30 years old and still works like new. I don't think they changed too much about the drives as the names changed changed, just updated them a bit and tweaked them. Be careful mixing an alpha upper with a #1 lower. I think they will fit, but I'm not sure if the pre-load ping on the #1 lower will cause any issues.