Someone knows fersure. Sneezing and idle screw does little

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
You don't have much but your on the right track.

Here's the answers because I'm tired. Linc and sinc....look that up. That's the two words that matter. Service bulletin. That does not fix a cough or sneeze, just a hesitation or the motor quits when you start out.

Then it's carb tuning next....this is assuming everything else is up to par.

The guy is kind of a boob, not that easy but once you practice or fail a few times you'll get her.

Good luck.

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
You don't have much but your on the right track.

Here's the answers because I'm tired. Linc and sinc....look that up. That's the two words that matter. Service bulletin. That does not fix a cough or sneeze, just a hesitation or the motor quits when you start out.

Then it's carb tuning next....this is assuming everything else is up to par.

The guy is kind of a boob, not that easy but once you practice or fail a few times you'll get her.

Good luck.
I thought link n sync was the roller at the 2 marks when the buttrrfly just starts to move? Which i did. Ill read more.
Hes showing that the seevice bulletin said the roller should actually be 1/4" to the left.
Hes a nice, smart guy... not a boob👍

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I thought link n sync was the roller at the 2 marks when the buttrrfly just starts to move? Which i did. Ill read more.
Hes showing that the seevice bulletin said the roller should actually be 1/4" to the left.
Hes a nice, smart guy... not a boob👍
Linc and sinc is how you set up the carb before you even start it. LOTS of info on that. Getting it done correctly is the thing and then you tune in the low speed jet.

So "yes" he's correct 1/4 to 1/2 inches past the two marks keeps mine from falling off.

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
Linc and sinc is how you set up the carb before you even start it. LOTS of info on that. Getting it done correctly is the thing and then you tune in the low speed jet.

So "yes" he's correct 1/4 to 1/2 inches past the two marks keeps mine from falling off.
1988 carb only has low speed needle.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed ,----most small Johnson / Evinrude motors have had a fixed high speed jet ( orifice ) since about 1965.

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
Just looked up link n sync in my seloc manual. Mine us D4 and i already had it at spec which is roller between the 2 marks.
I dont see more info. Yall make it sound like theres more.
I'll try to find the throttle wire linkage info.

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
Also, according to my manual, a 1988 25hp has a 100:1 mix! Wotdhhek?!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A service bulletin came to use 50:1 on these motors.----Using 100:1 will wear the motor out sooner !

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
A service bulletin came to use 50:1 on these motors.----Using 100:1 will wear the motor out sooner !
many thanks
cannot find any Johnson service bulletin for 1988 25hp 🤷‍♂️
My mechanic buddy says not thermostat but when i let go and feel the Force i feel thermostat dissonance.
Correct plugs: i use manual specs. I gapped them(.03 or .028, forgot which).
I use Johnson/evinrude 2 stroke oil, 50:1.
spark plugs are dark and slightly wet.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Evinrude 1986 30 hp and the Evinrude 1999 9.9 hp have both been on 100 to : 1 since 2010. I fish all summer every day. Retired.
I use the cheap Ace Hardware 2 stroke oil.
My oily spark plugs Stopped. When I put in a new and tested thermostat in a pot of heated water on my stove.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
many thanks

spark plugs are dark and slightly wet.
Hit the wrong reply and have no idea how I did it. Smart phones suck sometimes.

"Low speed needle" touche.

But a needle is an adjustable jet. Period.

In my opinion, those motors can run on 100 to one with Amzoil or tcw 3 oil of any kind.

i use Evinrude, mercury or Yamaha twc 3 oil at 75 to one with all my older engines and never had a problem. I also believe if you use Amzoil at 100 to one you will be fine I just choose not to....Price. if you only troll and not really zip around any decent brand of 2 stroke oil will work.

t-stats should always be in-spec.

I still stand by my earlier comments on L&S and the service bulletins.....hell I stand by everything I've said in this entire thread.

Yikes, why do I do it to myself.

Must be time to go fishing!

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
Hit the wrong reply and have no idea how I did it. Smart phones suck sometimes.

"Low speed needle" touche.

But a needle is an adjustable jet. Period.

In my opinion, those motors can run on 100 to one with Amzoil or tcw 3 oil of any kind.

i use Evinrude, mercury or Yamaha twc 3 oil at 75 to one with all my older engines and never had a problem. I also believe if you use Amzoil at 100 to one you will be fine I just choose not to....Price. if you only troll and not really zip around any decent brand of 2 stroke oil will work.

t-stats should always be in-spec.

I still stand by my earlier comments on L&S and the service bulletins.....hell I stand by everything I've said in this entire thread.

Yikes, why do I do it to myself.

Must be time to go fishing!
I searcjed for SERVICE BULLETINS for 1988 25hp. But i couldn't find anything🤷🏼‍♂️
I feel like the problem is fixable but i think i've done what yall have suggested so far.
Do you know a good way to get service bulletins?... i tried google,obviously

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
How sharp should the idle needle be? I think mine has been slightly "de-pointed".
My compression on cheap tester is 85 and 85.

arto13

Seaman Apprentice
Getting old and I've lost my memory.

What specifically is it not doing right.
idle has loud snorts. High idle is not at all smooth when i try to move. it's very in and out of power(bogs is the term?). higher speed is really good runs great at high speed. She starts great also.

Talked at a local marine shop, they think maybe need a new idle needle and said i should clean the one gas jet under the bowl.
Thanks for still payin attention to my old johnson journey👍

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
idle has loud snorts. A LEAN SNEEZE IT WILL SNORT AND SHAKE THEN DIE. 1/4 TURNS COUNTERCLOCKWISE UNTIL IT STOPS. High idle is not at all smooth when i try to move. HIGH IDLE WILL FIX ITSELF IF PROBLEM 1 IS CORRECTED. it's very in and out of power(bogs is the term?). HAVE YOU TRIED ADJUSTING WITH THE BOAT IN THE WATER WITH SOMEONE ELSE AT THE WHEEL ? I DO. higher speed is really good runs great at high speed. She starts great also. GOOD TO KNOW.

Talked at a local marine shop, they think maybe need a new idle needle LEAK SOME PROPANE OR SPRAY SOME FUEL AROUND THE NEEDLE JET, DONT CAUSE A MAJOR EXPLOSION? and said i should clean the one gas jet under the bowl. IF ITS RUNNING OK AT HIGH RPMS THAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. AVOID THOSE GUYS.
Thanks for still payin attention to my old johnson journey👍 TRY WEIRD THINGS LIKE DISCONNECTING THE KILL SWITCH AND STUFF.

AGAIN IF THE L&S IS NOT DONE CORRECTLY YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. ALSO WITH THE CARB OFF AND UPSIDE DOWN DO THE THREE LITTLE HOLES IN THE THROAT DRAIN CARB CLEANER WHEN PUDDLED ON TOP OF IT? IS THE FLOAT MOUNTED CORRECTLY? FUEL TO AIR MIXTURE IS VERY importante.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A rounded IDLE NEEDLE ? Absolutely the problem !! Find an buy a new correct needle. Way to trouble shoot !!