Some people just shouldn't own a boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelj07

Recruit
A shotgun may be a little much, but a paintball gun is almost mandatory when there are idiots on the water. Grab your phone next time and video his boat so you can get the proof and the numbers :)
You can paintball his boat after the video of course :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A shotgun may be a little much, but a paintball gun is almost mandatory when there are idiots on the water. Grab your phone next time and video his boat so you can get the proof and the numbers :)
You can paintball his boat after the video of course :)

And shooting paintballs at anyone gives them the right to defend themselves and they can use justifiably heavier artillery. Don't forget actions can have unintended results.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Best deterrent is to install a fake 50 mm cal machine gun on bow....LOL!!

Happy Boating

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Couple of years ago in Columbus OH at the small Reservoir there was a cigarette boat going full throttle back and forth on the lake and ended up running over a skier and taking her head off with the prop. The driver was sentenced to 20 days in jail

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
If you're determined to allow slights and inconveniences get the best of you, just leave the boat on the trailer/at the dock. If it's a life threatening situation, get the numbers and call the water police.

"Let it go" is a valuable saying to take to heart in life, including on the water. There are too many hills to pick to die on.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Let's go close past a dock at speed and not be looking
DSC_0711s.jpg

Or tow in No Wake Bay and have no one in control or even watching where boat is going
DSC_2550s.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
That's one of the new "autonomous piloting" boats by Reinell ... they'll be fine :facepalm:

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was kayaking with my dad on the Wilamette River in Portland (Oregon). And one of the jet boats from OMSI was going head onto us at about 40 knots. He swerved 10 yards before us and his wake nearly swamped both our kayaks while the passengers were smiling and waving to us. Told OMSI about it and they just said "sorry".

wendyheath

Recruit
Hi, because of these types of people most of the good person avoid to go on river with family.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Let's go close past a dock at speed and not be looking

Or tow in No Wake Bay and have no one in control or even watching where boat is going

​Good old Wabamun. Full of hayseeds who have no respect for others. Not to mention no enforcement most of the time. Notice no registration numbers on his boat.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
​Good old Wabamun. Full of hayseeds who have no respect for others. Not to mention no enforcement most of the time. Notice no registration numbers on his boat.

If you are referring to the one with the buffoon looking where he's been, his Charlie foxtrot numbers were visible when I lightened up the original image in PS.

Here's one of the Lake Lice getting hauled over by Fish and Wildlife for exceeding the 12 km/hr speed limit in Moonlight Bay
DSC_5225a.jpg

Last edited:

josh_booth

Seaman
If you are referring to the one with the buffoon looking where he's been, his Charlie foxtrot numbers were visible when I lightened up the original image in PS.

In Ohio our numbers MUST be a contrasting color to the hull, in block numbers, with a minimum size(can't remember what that is), and certain spacing. If an officer has a hard time making them out you will be getting a ticket.

http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/laws/...e/ch-1-registration-titling-requirements#r107

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The dynamic range of digital cameras, much like film, is far less than what the human eye can see. That pic was taken over about ten tears ago, and cameras are getting better, the DR is still not as good as the eye. The numbers were also in the shade, so that doesn't help. They were gold if I recall. Here the numbers/letters are too required to be contrasting colours and at least 3 inches tall. Block Letters are s said to be required, but most are in a Script. Henry Handcuff has never made mention of it

josh_booth

Seaman
Probably a combination of the number of boats around here, multiple coast guard stations, some local police departments have shore patrols along with some sheriff department, the department of natural resources, and the division of watercraft. For the most part unless they have a reason you don't get hassled, but if you give them a reason they will get everything they can.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Me and a buddy were out fishing the other day in about 3-5Ft of water and a jet skier came by about 15ft away from the boat that's the stuff I can't stand.

And usually it's just them, when we're trolling the shore line, 99% of the time me and the other fisher man are in communication with each other to avoid conflict.....

Respect=respect

Same thing goes at the boat launch. If I see someone having issues I don't get as close to them with my trailer as I can I simply wait and help if I can. It's always nice to help a fellow boater.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Last summer we were anchored about 40' from shore on the Ohio River (very wide part). I have a 25'er and a big boat (about 30') was coming up behind us on plane and heading straight for the back of our boat. About 100' away he turned and went past us but he was only about 30' away. There was another boat about the same size right behind him. He swerved too but was a little further away when he passed us but my boat was rocking very hard for a larger boat. We were standing and had to grab ahold of something to keep from falling over or even out. There was nobody else anchored in our area and the river (according to Google Maps) is over 1000' wide where we were. No reason for them to be that close.

dwco5051

Commander
In Ohio our numbers MUST be a contrasting color to the hull, in block numbers, with a minimum size(can't remember what that is), and certain spacing. If an officer has a hard time making them out you will be getting a ticket.

http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/laws/...e/ch-1-registration-titling-requirements#r107

Shortly after 9/11 the Coast Guard sent a memo to state agencies to stiffen up enforcement on numbers, i.e.: 3? block letters of contrasting solid color.

The obvious reason was to identify suspicious boats in the area of bridges, ports, oil refineries, etc. Degree of enhanced enforcement seemed to depend on how critical the area was believed to be.

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It seems to me that over the last 10yrs the courtesy level on the water has taken a drastic down hill turn.

josh_booth

Seaman
Was out last Sunday and the sheriff was out. Watched the stop a boat that was running on plane probably 40-45 mph. Caught that guy at the ramp later, said he was stopped because they couldn't make out his hull numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.