Some help for my brother en-law - 1983-1984 17ft Century

synapes

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I need to help for my brother en-law, he was out on the water with his boat and was working perfectly, he said he was going full throttle 40mpr when all of a sudden motor rev's way up and the boat not going anywhere, he said he tried in forward gear and the prop does not move if you try and spin it, this goes for reverse as well. I said it could be the coupler, I asked him if he smelt anything burning? he said no. but he look at the back and found fine rubber pieces - like dust.

He has a 4cyl alpha 1 outdrive.

Could the coupler go out that way? is there anything I should look for? I will check to make sure the cable going to
the forward/reverse is really engaging.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Some help for my brother en-law - 1983-1984 17ft Century

A prop hub failure acts the same way.

synapes

Cadet

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info, after going over and checking it out for him the gears are gone
we have order both gears so hopefully we can change them out today to get him back up and running.

What would cause the top gears to go? not engaged all the way?

Thanks for any info on this.

Steve

NHGuy

Captain

There are shims needed to set the gear preloads and placements. There are also special tools required to assemble and shim the gearset correctly. And there is a specific process to put it all together. You will need tech skills and the Mercruiser manual to do all that.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info, after going over and checking it out for him the gears are gone
we have order both gears so hopefully we can change them out today to get him back up and running.

What would cause the top gears to go? not engaged all the way?

Thanks for any info on this.

Steve

Ayuh,.... Low oil is the #1 cause....

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will need not only the gears, but a full seal kit. And maybe a bearing or two. The ENTIRE drive needs disasembled and thoroughly cleaned. Including all bearings. If not its a waste of time and money, as youll be doing it again shortly!