(SOLVED)voltage on the kill switch wire

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
i disconnected the black yellow wire (kill switch) and check for voltage. I had 8V DC from the key switch to the the amphenol connector, with or without the key in the on or off position. Then I disconnected the harness thinking that it might be a key switch problem but the voltage dropped to 4V DC. After I pulled the fuse in the red wire that connects the rectifier to the starting solenoid to the key switch the voltage went to 0V. so that was weird I didn't think that the black/yellow wire should have any voltage while the key was off. then I checked the rectifier side of the amphenol connector and cranked the motor and it showed 225V DC!!!

I also ohm ed the key switch wire to the ground with the key on and off and checked fine...

what do you guys think of this????

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: voltage on the kill switch wire

Model # and why are you doing this ???

levi_tsk

Ensign

if your checking the wire im thinking your checking it comes right off the power pack and when its running it SHOULD have 225 v that black and yellow wire shorts to ground when you shut the motor down and its sposed to have a little voltage leak -it only leaks about .001 amps and 8 volts seems about right

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

ended up changing the power pack, problem solved now... the motor is a 120 Johnson 1989 ... thanks for your help