Solid repair shop for boring force 85 cylinder

gram404

Cadet
Good evening,

I live in central CT and I am looking for a solid repair shop somewhat nearby (ri, ct, nys, ma, pa, nj). I have attached some pictures of the damage and I am hoping that all that it needs is to either hone or slightly bore out cylinder #3. Obviously putting in a new piston and rings too… the damage was causedby a bad thermostat that caused the motor to get hot this previous summer. It doesn’t appear that any other damage was done…

I have become swamped with work and I am afraid the machining might be a little beyond me getting the motor fixed for the next season…

Thanks in advance.
1672629429354.jpeg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Is the scuff mark bad enough that you can feel a groove? A groove deep enough to catch a fingernail? Yes? Then you might need a bore of .010 ???
and a new piston too. Wiseco parts is the best way to go.
Unfortunately I don't know about a shop in the NE.
Closest I can get is Md. Jet Machine shop is Pasadena, Md. (if they're still open?? Been 20+ years since I used them.
This probably won't help?? then again it might?? but there's a good shop in Ft. Pierce, Fl.
Good luck.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Those scratches are deeper than 0.010

gram404

Cadet
Is the scuff mark bad enough that you can feel a groove? A groove deep enough to catch a fingernail? Yes? Then you might need a bore of .010 ???
and a new piston too. Wiseco parts is the best way to go.
Unfortunately I don't know about a shop in the NE.
Closest I can get is Md. Jet Machine shop is Pasadena, Md. (if they're still open?? Been 20+ years since I used them.
This probably won't help?? then again it might?? but there's a good shop in Ft. Pierce, Fl.
Good luck.
Florida might be a long day trip to drop off haha. Where could I purchase the wiseco pistons and oversized rings?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Who ever does the job should have the piston and rings in hand before boring. If you have the block stripped down, it shouldnt be that hard to find a shop.....with that said...it appears we have become a throw away society, making repairs is becomming a dying trade, so it just might be more difficult than it should be !!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Contact Wiseco
They have a find your parts menu once you open their site.
The rebuild isn't that hard to do.
Just don't try to remove the exhaust chest cover as it's VERRRRY difficult to reseal it without getting the surfaces milled.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
RI/CT shop here. Just to be clear: 97% of outboards i rebuild (40hp and larger anyway) are BORED and finish honed. You CANNOT hone that out with a dingleberry and hand drill. A shop can with stones, but then you just have a very worn cylinder and the motor will not last long. I send all my blocks to Jay's Block Shop in TN. Jason White. As far as i'm concerned, hes the best of the best and the extra shipping is worth it. fast turnardound, fair prices. Hes got a digital Sunnen boring machine. More accurate than the factory ever was.