Solex 44PAI Carb Cleaning on a AQ130D ( Dual Carbs )

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I know its in my best interest that I do a full carb cleaning and it will be done in the Winter as money is very tight right now after all my other issues.. Project Boat..

Can I remove the individual jets and clean them up . Without the whole take everything apart etc. I know I know its not the best.

eg.

Small piece of wire clean out the holes spray and clean with carb cleaner and blow compressed air through it cleaning and drying then reinstalling ???

Right now my idle, mid range speed is great the high speed is lacking sitting at 3800 and 39kph :(

I have tried the just spray carb cleaner but I'm thinking some jet is good and clogged :facepalm:.

Help..

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Solex 44PAI Carb Cleaning on a AQ130D ( Dual Carbs )

It's not going to hurt anything to pull the main jet holders and jets and clean them. No idea if it'll help either but you won't know until you give it a shot. I wouldn't use anything like wire, just carb cleaner and compressed air. Make sure you remove the main jets from their holders so you can get to the inside as well.

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice

It's not going to hurt anything to pull the main jet holders and jets and clean them. No idea if it'll help either but you won't know until you give it a shot. I wouldn't use anything like wire, just carb cleaner and compressed air. Make sure you remove the main jets from their holders so you can get to the inside as well.

Remove the main jets from their holders ?? Ok I'm lost..

Can I use a soft toothbrush and reach inside and do some inner wall cleaning ? You know as much as you read and look at pictures its much easier I find RIPPING. I mean gentley taking apart to work and learn on these motors.

I have found so many crazy scab , wing nut, jerry rigged, scotch taped together things on the boat, motor, and outdrive. Who knows what I will find next but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger..

I'm ready to leave a sign on my door.. " GONE FISHING.. " See ya on the West Coast..

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Look at the carbs from the side away from the engine. Each carb will have what looks like a bolt head right about in the center of it, just a little bit to the right of the float bowl. If you look closer, you'll see that there are internal passageways in the casting. Those passageways are the fuel to and from that jet. Those "bolt heads" are actually the holders for the main jets. When you screw them out, you'll see the actual jet and it's screwed into that holder. The jet has a slot for a screwdriver in it, and that's how you remove them from the holder.

In all reality, if there is debris and varnish in the jets, it's probably throughout the carbureator passages as well. Cleaning out the jets may give some improvement but we all know that to do the job right, you would need to disassemble and clean out everything in the carb. But if it gives you a few extra weeks in the water this summer, then it might be worth a try.

As far as finding things cobbled together, well the engine is over 35 years old. There's no telling how many people have worked on it and how many times someone just did the minimum to get by. It goes with the territory and gives the boat character ;)

EDIT: oops, I forgot about the emulsifier jet in the center of the venturi. That screws out from the top and is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Sorry I forgot about that one :redface:

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

24 MPH at 3800. What size boat is this ?

What prop are you running? At 3800 in my 17.5 foot boat I'm lucky to be pulling 18 MPH.

Have you ever seen this boat hit 5100 RPM? I'm thinking you may be overpropped.