Solenoid location

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
New to me 2000 Formula 400 SS with twin Mag MPI 502

Port engine always starts but struggles to turn over. At first I thought it might be the battery but I have ruled that out by removing them and bench testing at auto store and using the emergency crossover switch that uses both starter batteries at the same time.

Had starting issues on a prior boat and it turned out to be the slave solenoid and it was inexpensive and easy to do as it was located in a box on top of the engine. Looks like its some where else as this engine has no box just a mounting rail with lots of stuff connected (see pic)

Can someone please direct me to where I would find the slave solenoid on this motor?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7489.JPG
    IMG_7489.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 8

tpenfield

Staff member
Maybe zoom out a bit with the camera . . . But the slave solenoids were placed in the electrical box on the engine in some of the MPI engines.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree you should have the larger slave as FT posted
The 2 in your pic are fuel pump and main power relays

Bondo

Staff member
New to me 2000 Formula 400 SS with twin Mag MPI 502

Port engine always starts but struggles to turn over. At first I thought it might be the battery but I have ruled that out by removing them and bench testing at auto store and using the emergency crossover switch that uses both starter batteries at the same time.

Had starting issues on a prior boat and it turned out to be the slave solenoid and it was inexpensive and easy to do as it was located in a box on top of the engine. Looks like its some where else as this engine has no box just a mounting rail with lots of stuff connected (see pic)

Can someone please direct me to where I would find the slave solenoid on this motor?

Thanks
Ayuh,..... Before ya spend any money, remove, clean to shiny metal clean, both ends of all the battery cables, as that probably where the problem is,....