Sold one of my boats...?

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sold one of my boats like 2 years ago. I just recived the notice to renew my registration for my other two boats, BUT, in there i also received the notice to renew that firs boat i sold. I went to the DMV and they told me that the vessel is still under my name, and the only way to get it out of my name was to find the guy i sold it to and bring him to the DMV office and make the transffer.

The thing is that i sold it to a guy on craigslist. He came, paid for it, and took it. Thats it.
Does anyone know what i can do in this situation? Thanks in advance.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sold one of my boats...?

In California, DMV has a form, "Release of Liability" to be filled out when selling any motor vehicle or vessel. I hope you still have the buyers name and address.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

1. Get a replacement title from you DMV or controlling agency. It is still in your name according to the State, so it is your title.

2. Turn the title in just like you would a car sent to scrap or a boat to the junk yard. When that is done you are off the hook as then the boat officially does not exist.

3. If the jerk ever gets caught operating without a registration and "tags" and tries to come back on you, then your lawyer will have a short, fun time of it along with the State.

4. Next time only turn over the boat, car or whatever at the tag office after the legal transfer. It is a royal PIA, but in most states you are still liable for harm caused by a vehicle titled in your name. An honest person will understand, a dishonest one you shouldn't care about.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would urge you to ignore the whole thing. Boat could have been taken to another state. Maby the boat never made it to the water. Not your problem. Lots of old boats here on the island rotting away and old registration sticker left on them. For that matter, even more old cars laying around. You are not forced to pay yearly registration on a car or boat unless you drive it on a public road or waterway. If someone is caught driving a car you own with an expired registration, they get the ticket, not you.
Might hurt some peoples feeling but gotta tell you a lot of people working in these different agencies either cant think or are not allowed to. Lots of times they are wrong in the info they give you. Try getting a permit to repair your dock ( it can be done with a lot of hassel) Try getting a permit to dredge/ clear your canal, been 5 yrs running on that one and still not close to approval. I am starting to get mad now so I will leave. regards FRED

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Bearing in mind I'm not from the US, what's the chances that he'll be stopped,fined and pretend to be you to avoid the fine?

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im not worried about him getting fined, im worried about him using the vessel for illegal porpuses and i getting in trouble when they find out im still the owner and yes, im liable and would be charged cus the boat is still under my name.

I think im going to do what External said. Im going to go get a copy of the title and turn it in to the DMV. Thanks a lot for the idea.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my state , they don't title boats . All you need is a bill of sale to register it .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well seeing it is time to renew the sticker, he will have to go ahead and register it, in order to keep using the boat.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sure think you are overreacting but you have to do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Here in LEE county the paperwork is handeled by the tax collectors office. Be prepaired to go in, take a number and sit and wait until you are called. Bring a book! Once called you sit with a person at the computer screen. These people are programed to transfer titles, issue registration and collect fees, not do the opposite. Now this person is preplexed as they have never done this before but is happy for a break from their normal routine. Call a supervisor or two so lots of people can get involved, bottom line is that they will want to leave and forget about your concernes. At the same time a little red mark is put on all your cars and boats records as you had brought up the fact of your concern of use for running guns, drugs, illegal fish, water side theft, on and on.
Sure is nice thinking you are doing the right thing but it can backfire. My carrier was spent ramp side at big airports. Occasionally a sack of mail yould fall off a cart and lay on the ramp. Mister nice guy once picked up a bag and brought it back to the mail facility. Turned into a big hassel for me, after that fiasco I would deliberatly drive over wayward mail sacks. Speaking of running over things, one time some luggage fell out on the ramp that had N.J. state police stickers all over it. Guess the guy was proud of his position but was a big mistake to advertize it. Had to get in line to run over it. Ever wonder why some luggage never makes it to its destination? WOW, the stories I could tell. Sorry I got off the subject, retired now and the world is safe if I stay on my medication.
One more ditty, after building my house had a big box of roofing nails left over. Kept the box on the front seat and would throw some nails where the state police parked for there speed traps on the garden state parkway. Wasnt to long till they quit hiding there. Maby I am sick!!! regards FRED

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah maybe im over reacting.

And yes, Fred, you are a lil crazy. lol. but thats a good way to get rid of cops hiding around the corner lol thanks for the tip