Solar Power, Hydraulic Boat Lift Not Charging

JDusza

Ensign
Hi.
I've got a boat lift that seems to not be charging the battery.
New battery, new SolarKeeper regulator, wired according to instructions.
I measure 18+ volts DC and 40 volts AC coming from the solar panel.
How do I know the solar panel is really working? Should the 18 v have some current behind it? How may I measure solar panel current?
Thanks, J
p.s., do these things leak current such that I should put in a main shut-off switch somewhere?

Last edited:

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To measure DC current you need a meter with that function. A clamp on style is easiest. They sell them at Lowes. Be careful to get on that does DC amps, nit just AC amps.
This system is supposed to put out AC? That requires an inverter to turn DC into AC. Likely it should be 120 volt, not 40, but you didn't say what brand or model you have.
If it's a modified sine inverter you will need a true RMS meter to properly measure the voltage. That may be the problem now with you reading 40 volts AC.
How big is the solar panel? Is it pointed south? Is it clean and unshaded? Is it angled at aproximately you latitude?

JDusza

Ensign
Thanks for the reply.
The panel is ICP Global, BatterySAVER PRO. The panel measures roughly 13 inches by 38 inches. I see on line that it may be 15W at 1A.
The AC portion makes no sense to me but I don't know solar panels.
The 18 VDC and the 1A sort of, being maybe, kind of close, almost, about 15 W..... Could we consider this an over-achieving panel at 18 volts vs. the advertised 15 (15W/1A = 15V) ?
Maybe this panel is functioning better than advertised with 1.2A.
And then, if we consider a car battery turning a starter for maybe 5 seconds, hard starts perhaps 15 to 20 seconds. At that time one might declare something amiss. By comparison, the hydraulic lift motor has to run continuously. Maybe I'm running the battery into the mud and 1A just ain't gonna do it....
I'll have to check out my meter and see if I have IDC capability.
Thank you,
J