Solar Panels

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Im interested in installing a http://www.iboats.com/SOLAR-PANEL-K...219286--session_id.248123688--view_id.1836045[FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] on my 280 SeaRay,... looking to get some suggestions and ideas,..particularly as to WHERE to mount the panel(s). I have a radar arch but would like to keep with the lines of the boat. Because the windshield is SO large on my boat and I never use the bottom 1/3 of the glass,.. I thought the semi flex panels would work great along the bottom of the windshield,...ideas are welcome.[/FONT]

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I have a panel mounted on my port side bow hand rail.
Mine is only 15 watts, keeps battery charged with VHF and fish finder on.
The hyperlink you posted seems to be a LARGE panel 26 x 59 inches..
Just experimenting to see how effective it is.
I may switch to a portable which would cover my port side windshield completely.
Leave it off while motoring in case someones in the port helm seat.
Then quick connect it while anchored.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZBU1yRVrtg

Last edited:

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pretty expensive for a 150w panel. How are you going to mount this so it's at the proper angle depending on your latitude and pointing south? Depending on where you are you may want to see if a wind turbine would work for you.

tpenfield

Staff member
Not sure you would need a 150 watt panel, unless you were leaving things on and not on shore power. I like the idea of the area between the windshield and the helm housing, so long as it does not create a bad reflection. otherwise you could go out on the deck in an area just in front of the windshield.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure you would need a 150 watt panel, unless you were leaving things on and not on shore power. I like the idea of the area between the windshield and the helm housing, so long as it does not create a bad reflection. otherwise you could go out on the deck in an area just in front of the windshield.
We spend long weekends on the hook,...refrig,..lights, music, fans, charging our cell phones, ect,... so 100 watt would be minimal to maintain my 4 bank system,.. Renolgy makes a system;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renogy-100W-...19.m1438.l2649

Im thinking along the same lines as far as location,... port side dash and lower windshield. The system linked above is a single large panel,...id opt for 2-3 smaller panels

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I bought a similar Renogy kit for our cabin. Seems to be pretty good quality components.

tpenfield

Staff member
If you are on the hook for weekends, etc. I am wondering if having a wind generator is more effective. I see lots of sailboats have them, but not so much on powerboats. Not sure of the power vs. solar panels. Maybe a smaller one that can be temporarily mounted when you need it :noidea:

Anyway, just throwing it out there.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Great idea. Would this be in lieu of a generator or in addition to it?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
First step of doing solar is figure out exactly what you need. Sounds like you have an idea already, but how big is your battery bank, and how much do you estimate you draw it down over night? I've converted my RV to be entirely off-the-grid, and ended up needing 450 watts of solar which is enough for everything minus roof AC and fridge.

The windshield mount seems like a really poor spot, unless you can always guarantee your boat is facing south.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Great idea. Would this be in lieu of a generator or in addition to it?

​I'm hoping in lieu of,...but that will have to be determined. I currently have a 4 bank system consisting of (2) 29 series and (2) 27 series deep cycle marine interstates with (1) of the 29 series dedicated to starting. My SR is equipped with an momentary emergency switch near the ignition switch that combines (3) of the batteries in the event of a no start situation. I also installed a digital volt meter in the dash for monitoring my current volts. Usually in 12-18 hrs the bank will drop down to 11.8, then I start the engines for a few mins. That's running frig, lights, stereo, phone chargers, 12v sur-flo water pump, bilges, and an occasional fan. The frig is probably my largest constant drain.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the problem with solar panels is you will need an array of them. they are most effective when the sun is directly perpendicular to the surface on a cloud-free sunny day. on a boat bobbing around in the water, while on anchor, expect at best 10% of its capacity. my buddy had 6 200 watt solar panels and a wind generator on his sailboat trying to go free when on the hook and he still needed to fire up the generator. the solar panels were mounted to the top of the dodger and along the rails.

a wind generator will provide power no mater where the wind comes from, however they are a noisy device.

i would get rid of the group 29 and group 27 and upgrade to group 31's at a minimum to push up your reserve capacity, turn off the phone, switch the lights to LED's and you should be able to get a few days on the hook without a generator

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
the problem with solar panels is you will need an array of them. they are most effective when the sun is directly perpendicular to the surface on a cloud-free sunny day. on a boat bobbing around in the water, while on anchor, expect at best 10% of its capacity. my buddy had 6 200 watt solar panels and a wind generator on his sailboat trying to go free when on the hook and he still needed to fire up the generator. the solar panels were mounted to the top of the dodger and along the rails.

a wind generator will provide power no mater where the wind comes from, however they are a noisy device.

i would get rid of the group 29 and group 27 and upgrade to group 31's at a minimum to push up your reserve capacity, turn off the phone, switch the lights to LED's and you should be able to get a few days on the hook without a generator

​If the reality is just 10% then I wouldn't bother,.. (6) 200 watt panel not keeping up is a bit disappointing and id rather scrap the idea and would most likely opt for a small generator,... Ive already converted all light bulbs to LED's.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
​If the reality is just 10% then I wouldn't bother,.. (6) 200 watt panel not keeping up is a bit disappointing and id rather scrap the idea and would most likely opt for a small generator,... Ive already converted all light bulbs to LED's.

Which generators are you considering?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Solar always sounds great until you actually work out the details, then it rarely pays off.

It's not bad, and can help maintain batteries that aren't being used, but to actually charge batteries and keep up with demand on a boat is hard to do.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If the reality is just 10% then I wouldn't bother,
The reality is that you may only lose 10% efficiency. For example, people put solar panels on home roofs facing north all the time. Flat is better than facing north so you should be fine.

I am going to be putting 2 100W panels on the new travel trailer I just bought to keep 2 6V golf cart batteries charged. Do some research on RV sites. A wealth of info is there.

Call up Renogy as well. They would be glad to help you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Solar efficiency depends on many factors. however houses dont bounce up and down on the earth like boats do in the water. house orientation is fixed. a boat on the hook is not.

the most efficient solar arrays actually track the sun to remain perpendicular to its rays. boat installations are fixed, or at best, manually adjusted

if the ambient atmosphere has much moisture, solar is further degraded. there is a reason why solar works so much better in Utah / Arizona than it does in Florida.

clouds kill solar efficiency.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
My neighbor just put solar panels on their roof, it was the "it will pay for itself in X number of years and then you'll make money off of it for ever" sales pitch.

​Talk to him and it works great, talk to the wife and she says the the power drops off fast as soon as a cloud comes over, so even during the fantastic summer we've had here it only barely keeps up with usage....midday...when the sun is shinning....any other time they're still buying power. As Scott said, keeping the panels oriented in the correct direction is difficult on a boat, so don't expect to even get close to the maximum rated output of the panels.

​The cheaper panels tend to stop producing voltage when even part of the panel is in a shadow, so even on a sunny day you may not be making any headway.