Soft Floor

eltonh20

Cadet
I have a soft spot on my Proline boat floor about 4" x 4". Is it feasable to drill holes around the perimeter of the area, treat the area with a wood rot product, then after drying inject the area with epoxy resin? ?Thanks.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Soft Floor

Thats a tough one. You could either just have an isolated soft spot, or you could have a much greater issue that is just now presenting itself in the form of this spot. Where is the spot in relationship to the rest of the floor? Is it near anything that is bolted down, is in in a corner where water can collect? I think most people will agree that once you start to investigate this spot, you will likely uncover more hidden issues. Good luck....

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

check out this site: www.rotdoctor.com<br />but like jasonj said you could have more than just that spot, and probably do, I started with "just a couple rotted seat cushion backs, and if you look at my pics you will see my progress so far on those cushions, but there is good news, you have found the spot for answers to your questions. Also WE LIKE PICS Good luck...

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a portable ultra sounder,it could help you out to the extent of finding rot,other then that,open your check book.Know what is said about boats,break out another thousand!<br />Anyway,try first what you are planning,can't hurt,just your pride.Putting it off,it will grow fast.

davaugust

Seaman Apprentice

I only had two small "soft spots" in mine, but when I pulled up the carpet and checked, I found that I had very extensive rot in the floor, much of which either didn't seem "soft" yet, or was just in an area I never stepped on. I ended up tearing up the floor and am currently in the process of replacing / repairing it. <br /><br />Pictures of the project in progress:<br /> http://www.shareaproject.com/projectThumbs.php?p=1

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

although as bad as mine was, i bet I could have gotten a couple years out of it if I stayed away from the big waves :( But Alas I like Big Air and the smiles that go with it. <br /><br />daveaugust:how are the stringers (wood)under the glass? if the boat flexed enough to crack the glass at the seams on the deck, I mean from your pics It looks like your boat is constructed eerily similer to mine,(85 SeaRay 23 foot)except my fuel tank is accessable I would think that the rot has gone farther than just the top of the floor. I am not an engineer, nor a boat expert, but from what I have read here on iboats, is that the floor (deck) supports the hull laterally, and the stingers longitudily I THINK. plus it all works together as a "system" I have also read on numerous web sites that rot starts from the bottom up. I thought my stringers were good until I drilled holes thru the glass (what little there was) covering the stingers and all I found was mush. But like I said I am not there to see your boat and I am no expert. By the way nice looking boat.

a_bullfrog_a

Seaman

I had 1 soft spot, olive green vinly, yellow floor<br />and mice nest in the foam. Told myself, screw it, and ripped it all out.

davaugust

Seaman Apprentice

I do have a little rot in the stringers, and am currently looking for a solution. It's not too extensive, so I'm hoping for a way to "patch" them. I know this is ill advised, but if I have to replace them, I'll have to tear apart the cuddy, which I hoped to leave intact.<br /><br />I've heard of a product called "Git-Rot", which I'm considering, or maybe shoring a newly epoxied / glassed 2x12 spanning the rotted area.<br /><br />Unfortunately, I think I'm lying to myself at this point...I'll probably have to completely replace at least one of them. :( <br /><br />Thanks for the kind words on the boat..I've been working pretty hard on it! I don't want to take over this gent's thread with my problems though, so I just started a new thread.."Alternatives to replacing stringers"...any and all suggestions welcome.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Davagust, if you are going to try to fix it that way, I would recommend using the stuff from <br />www.rotdoctor.com they sell CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer) and their layup/laminating resin, and epoxy filler. The thing to do is to let the stringer dry out, then soak the wood with CPES, they fill in the bad area with either thickened epoxy or the epoxy filler. Wear a resirator, the CPES smells BAD!<br />I used it to fix a spot on the floor of my Four Winns and it came out great!!!