Soft Deck

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this has been covered before, but a search didn't quite answer my question.<br /><br />I noticed my forward deck is getting softer with age and was wondering if anyone had some time saving advice on how to repair it (short of selling the boat).<br /><br />It's a 1974 O'Day 22 sloop. The deck is sandwiched inside and out with what I'll guess to be about 1/8" FG (good condition), with a presumably rotted plywood core. The softness extends over about 6 SF area. I know the old trick of drilling multiple holes across the deck and working the plywood out of the holes and replacing with epoxy or foam filler. The deck is textured with a non-skid pattern that would be imposible to duplicate and make the job look quite bad in the end. I could drill up through the inside cabin ceiling, but it's tight quarters and I think too much of whatever filler I decide on won't stay where I need it.<br /><br />Any advice on a fix? Also, what fillers does anyone recommend?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Soft Deck

RagHauler,<br /><br />You could cut the top layer of glass off leaving about a 3-4" permiter in your 6 sq. ft. area. Then remove the rotted plywood. This would leave the bottom layer of glass in tact. Use a circular saw with the blade set deep enought to cut the top layer of glass and the plywood core, leaving the bottom layer.<br /><br />Remove all rotted wood. Replace the wood with doug fir (correct thickness, 1/2" or 3/4 or whatever you have or layers of 1/4" with a layer of glass between each). Fill gaps with around the edges (before you put the wood back) with high density adheasive filler (West systems has a product that does this when mixed with epoxy). Also put a layer of glass on top of the bottom layer, making sure it is well sanded and clean. Then glass over the top surface and finish.<br /><br />This is the same technique you would use on a transom repair, where 1 layer of the glass is kept in tact. If you are talking about a 6 sq. ft. that is accessable you should be able to get the old stuff cut out and the new stuff all glassed in in an afternoon, let set overnight (at least) and then be ready for finishing.<br /><br />There are multiple non skid products available (pettit makes a pretty good additive to their products). I think you would be surprised with the proper amount of sanding and prep how easy this can be to get a really good finish. You can also extend the repair to whatever "lines" you want. If the area extends to any angle or corner once the finishing is done the patch will not be as noticable or not at all.<br /><br />Parts List:<br />2 qts epoxy<br />4x8 plywood sheet(s) (depends on the shape and size)<br />High Density filler<br />Disposable rollers and brushes (2 ea.)<br />1.5oz Glass 6 sq. Ft.<br />Finishing material (Gelcoat, paint, primer, etc.)<br /><br />I think I forgot something, but you get the idea.<br /><br />In my oppinion, any repair you try to make to the core without getting all the wet wood out is going to come back to haunt you. There is a product called "Git rot", it is a very thin substance that you would use similar to the method of dilling holes. If you drill the holes at a steep angle you may be able to make the repair from the underside, but I would recommend against it.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Safe boating to all.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />emp.

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

RagHauler,<br /><br />Just had another thought, you may be able to save the top piece of glass (using the technique described above), if you use a fine (very good blade) when you cut it out. You would then have to be very careful with it, sand the bottom put a layer of glass on it and laminate back into place with thickened epoxy. This would give you lines wherever you cuts were, which could then be finished out.<br /><br />Hope this helps. (again)<br /><br />Safe boating to all.<br /><br />Cheers.<br /><br />emp.

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Ed, for the detailed response. I appreciate the advice. Folks like you make MB's like this the value that they are. Keep it up!