soft deck

jskinner1

Recruit
I have a 1996 21? Sea pro with a soft deck. I want to use foam to support the deck instead of completely demo the deck. The deck is a balsa wood with poly skin. The boat was shrink wrapped for two years and the balsa wood has deteriorated. The poly skin is still intact and good condition.
1)Would you use the 4, 8, or 16 lb. density foam? Will the reaction of mxing the 2 parts affect the fuel tank and or the fill and vent hose for the gas tank?
Has anyone done this type of repair before.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: soft deck

Sounds like mission impossible to me.

How do you intend to install the foam? Remove the decking and pout the foam flat or pour the foam through the decking using vent holes?

Removing the decking and pouring the foam flat will be tricky. You'll have to remove the decking intact and that may not be possible with the deteriorated wood core, then you'll have to pout the foam high and cut it off flat at the desired elevation or rig up a form to hold the foam to the desired elevation.

If you pour through the decking via vent hole the foam is more than likely going to push your deteriorated decking up and you'll have rolling hills for decking.

Half way doing a job never gives quality results nor does it last long. Replace your decking like you know you need to instead of trying to do a jackleg job.

If you have enough money to own and operate this boat, you have enough money to fix it right.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Welcome to Iboats.

Your idea for a repair is a band-aid on a bullet wound. Chances are if you were to lift the deck and take a look, you would find allot more then just a soft deck. Water logged foam, and stringers may be present. The stringers being a structural part of your boat (think of them as like the framing in your house) are critical to keep your boat in one piece.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but anybody looking to do a safe repair would not do this.

rickryder

Commander

We don't recomend the quick fix thing here..... The safety of your friends,family and yourself are just not worth it......:facepalm: