Social Security

D

DJ

Re: Social Security

JB wrote:<br /><br />
I see SS as a lifeboat; not a retirement plan, not a luxo cruise. Whatever they want to call it, it should respond only to need and it should be supported by all citizens.<br />
With that said, we are on the same page. <br /><br />In your case, it is doing what is supposed to do.<br /><br />And yes, pjc. Fed employees do not fall under the same plan. Theirs is a very good one based on some private investment.. <br /><br />It seems it's good enough for them but not good enough for us.

PW2

Commander

Yes, I am aware of the history of SS, and the way it has changed over time. Things always change. What is the point?<br /><br />And more importantly, how do private accounts do anything at all to fix it.<br /><br />How do they do anything but offer a few big brokerage houses a chance to skim a little money from a big pile of money off the top?<br /><br />Like I said, I am all for private acccounts, but we already have them in the form of 401k's and IRA's<br /><br />If we want to change what SS covers, that's fine--let's debate it openly and honestly, and not some VooDoo plan that will simply weaken the system without offering any sort of real fix.<br /><br />And re my daughter, SSDI benefits offer a pretty meager existance which she has never even considered as an option. She is going to graduate this year as a software engineer and probably take a six figure job somewhere, which SSDI isn't too attractive as an alternative. (which, of course, it should not be).

NYMINUTE

Captain

One last thought:<br /> Every over paid politician active, retired, or dead donate $10,000 to SSI as a gesture of remorse for their abuse of the system, the people and the Law.