Sober 6 months

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
I'm celebrating 6 months without a drink today. Hubby is celebrating 7 months. I feel good and know the decision last Dec. 29th to stop was one of the most important decisions. I know it saved my life, but am wondering when I'll stop thinking about it. Can anyone else out there relate? <br />Bassy :)

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sober 6 months

I cant relate with Drinking because I still do but smoking managed to stop 10 years ago and even now still think yeah Id love a fag. Keep up the good work Ive no doubt the craving will reduce youve done great best wishes<br /><br />Chris

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Bassy, as one who partied hearty for years before becoming a family man eight years ago, and still enjoys a brew or three, or cocktail, I can say that you may be feeling the desire forever.<br /><br />I have indeed gone on the wagon now and then in the past, and regardless of one month, or many months, the desire for the beer buzz was, not constantly, but frequently, in the background. Main strain was being around others who consumed.<br /><br />One saying is "let go, let God" may be a great phrase, or tool if you will, to internally recite if the "thinking about it" happens. Deal is to replace stinkin' thinkin' thoughts with positive.<br /><br />Best to you Bassy,<br /><br />PC

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Bassy, I can. <br />I guess there are different degrees of 'addiction', and different manifestations and reprocussions to expect from alcohol...It sure is strange, the way it effects the body and mind. But so are most drugs. I had a severe drinkin problem after my devorce in the early 80's. I figured it was harmfull, but since I was alone, I didn't care. Then, a close friend got in my face and reminded me about my three children. I switched to water that night, and swore never to drink around someone I cared about ever again....And since I care about most people, and they tend to go to the same parties I do, it leaves me no window of opertunity to make an arse outta myself. <br />All that to say, I rarely give it a thought, except after a particularily rough day at the salt mines....And never a second thought.<br />Samey-same with cigarettes (which I had a very hard time getting away from compared to alcohol). But the smokes took a good year to quit constantly obsessing-over.<br />You might require all of your friends to stick close for a while (the non-drinkin ones). And you may have to give your drinkin friends a long hug and kiss, and tell them you'll see them when you're stronger than the desire. I didn't, but everyone's addictions are different.<br />If you are going to A/A, it will keep the subject front and center. It's hard to put behind you if it's what you are talking and thinking about....So A/A has its dangers too.<br />But whether you attend meetings or not, the 12 steps are essential, esspecially the support of friends, and a strong faith in your maker.

vzsla

Cadet

Congrats to both of you. I'm sober in the program for 18 1/2 yrs. It works.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bassy, email me <<self-edited>>. We can share experiences.

11 footer

Lieutenant

My uncle has been clean for about 22years.<br /><br />He still makes comments about wishing he could have a drink, or smoke a blunt.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome Bassy, I drank and did drugs for 16 years. The last ten, every day all day and night. I Quit everything 4 years ago this july and cant believe the difference in my life. I was truly headed to one of two places which was the grave or jail. Met a woman had a spiritiual expeirence and quit cold turkey. I never slipped and am sure I wont. I went from barly being able to work and pay rent on my 1 room apt. to owning my owm home and running a construction bussiness. I truly wanted to die back then but now all I can say is Life is good now. I still struggle when im bored or angry but somehow I always seem to get through and everything is o.k. :)

LadyFish

Admiral

Congrats Bassy. The mere fact that you are craving and not indulging is a step in the right direction. Those that I have talked to say they never completely lose the craving, just the frequency of them. You can get this monkey off your back, you've have made it this far! Never give up. <br /><br />The race is worth the prize. Best of luck, keep up the good work.
13.gif

one more cast

Captain

I had to give up drinking due to the meds i now take and i wish i would have quit years ago. I was a heavy drinker and just stopped. i have a drink or two now and then and but stop at that with no problems. I have no desire to become intoxicated.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you all so much. Yeah, if I'm having a frustrating day the thought of "Hey, swing by the store and grab a bottle" enters my mind. Friday's are the hardest because that was my drinking day. I don't do it and come home and take a good long walk and not long after the thought is gone. I know I won't drink. I can't have one, so I don't. I can be around family members who drink. They know I don't and there is no pressure. So, that's been very good. <br />Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It helps alot. You're the best!<br />Bassy

bubbakat

Captain

Hang in there bassy. Take it one day at a time.<br />I haven't drank a drop in 15 years and I use to partake of the spirits on any occasion from morning to night.<br />I was hiding from a lot of things and drink was my blanket. Yes the cravings do go away. I can take a bottle and take a mouth full and spit it out and throw the rest away. I don't even desire a drink now.<br />You just tell yourself you are better then the drink.<br /> Happy trails to yea in this endeavor.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Hang in there Bassy...and have a happy Birthday...<br /> :D

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If the desire to drink gets to strong you should consider AA. They were there for me when I needed them. It is not a sign of weekness to go to AA. If you can find yourself a comfortable little group near your home it can make the world of difference. As Bubba says take it one day at a time.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks everyone. This will be the first year in 15+ years I will be not drinking on July 2nd and I will feel good the 3rd of July this year too. Yep, no hangover to get over. As long as I don't buy it I'll be fine and I won't. Thank you for all the words of encouragement. It helps to know I'm not alone in the feelings I get.<br />Bassy

vzsla

Cadet

No shame to be an alcoholic, but it's a dam shame not to do anything about it.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Congradulations to you and hubby!!! :) :) <br /><br />I'm sure that the rewards will be great!!!! ;) :cool:

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bassy<br />I quit 27 years ago after I started with the black outs and waking up in Jail type stuff. I had been drinking since age 13, heavy since age 16. I woke up in jail one morning, they had takne my shoelaces, belt, pillow and blanket and I was sleeping on a sheet of plywood. I didn't even know what town I was in. 27 years later I have a home in the woods, a daughter in college, another daughter just turning 11 and my wife and I have been married 24 years. I have a good career and am well thought of in the community. I recently lost my job and had 3 months of temptation time. I came close but never fell. I belive my sainted mother was watching over me, god love her soul. I am not overly religious. I have found that my addictive nature showed itself in drugs, sex, work, and other areas of my life, and have now turned all that energy to fishing, hunting, and hanging with my girls. Bassy, good luck, and stay strong. A time will come when your life is in turmoil and you will want that drink. I still do sometimes. Don't do it. Take a walk. Watch a sunrise. Kiss a child. Catch a fish. <br />Throbbin Rods off the soapbox - good luck and a happy holiday weekend to all.

self taut

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had actuall filled this space with quit a bit.then re-read it and felt it was tacky of me to go telling my haves and have nots.so i have edited this post and simply wish to say.Congradulastions to you and your husband bassy.you are well supported here.