So I was wondering how much CO my torpedo heater produces--

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good business is forcing me out into the garage. Out goes the car and a bunch of other stuff to make room for new machines. Since winter is coming I'll be needing some heat until something more permanent can be installed. I have a 10 year old or so Sears 110,000 btu kerosene 'torpedo' heater. It would heat up my old 24x25' garage from the 30's to over 70? in about 20 minutes. This garage is like 18 x 21, so this thing will raise the temp FAST. And a note-- I've never put kerosene in the thing. Only diesel fuel.

Now, I've always understood that diesel fuel burns extremely clean (soot from heavy-footed diesel drivers notwithstanding). And I've always run the thing with the garage door open a few inches for ventilation. But I'm hoping to not have to open the door to warm the garage, for many reasons. So last weekend I brought home our digital readout CO meter from the houseboat, just to test this thing...

The garage was about 50? or so.
The CO meter reading: 0
I fired up the heater, all doors and windows closed.
I ran it for 6 minutes, the temp got to around 80?, very warm.

Not a single part per million of CO after 6 minutes of burning diesel. I expected SOME CO to show up. But I'm not complaining!

I'm going to continue monitoring the CO meter whenever I use the heater, but at least I'm pretty sure I'm not going to kill myself. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: So I was wondering how much CO my torpedo heater produces--

The average residual CO from diesel (in a heater) if it is running properly is about 12-15%

Allot of the "impending death" from CO is more severe from poorly running equipment. Are there any mobile homes in the area? The old heaters in mobile home make great small garage heaters and can be installed and vented outside.

bigdee

Commander

Those heaters are not meant to be run in an enclosed unventilated area. CO aside, they deplete oxygen in the room. Diesel fuel is worse than kerosene for hydrocarbons.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

My double door/car garage is half finished, the walls are insulated sheet-rocked. I insulated the ceiling and stapled insulation against the garage door panels. I have two portable electric heaters 15000 btu units both set to turn off about 60 - 65. They cycle and keep the garage 60 - 70 until outside drops into the teens, then I light my kerosene radiant heater and start turning it down til it barely burns enough to keep the lower quarter of the unit red. Otherwise the garage temp can drop to the mid 40's. Still tolerable for a short period.

levittownnick

I found that with the torpedo heater (and assume that with any big/fast heater) the air heats up very quickly and things with large mass lag behind (are cooler) therefore the moisture in the air collects on them causing them to rust. My saw blades and tools rusted. I always had ventilation to try and be safe.

Nick

generator12

I installed a 6200 watt overhead heater last fall and found that it makes my garage tolerable throughout the winter. (Enclosed in sheet rock and wood paneling) On that rare occasion in which I need "room temperature" in there during a really cold snap, I run a kerosene heater. My idea is to turn it on and leave the area for an hour or so. This warms up everything in the room - tool cabinets, hardware, even a car or two. Then I can open the doors for a minute or so to change the air and close it up for the overhead heater to re-warm that air. I've had success with this approach.

Bondo

Staff member

Those heaters are not meant to be run in an enclosed unventilated area. CO aside, they deplete oxygen in the room. Diesel fuel is worse than kerosene for hydrocarbons.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... Kerosene will burn cleaner than #2 oil,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

The garage was about 50? or so.
I fired up the heater, all doors and windows closed.
I ran it for 6 minutes, the temp got to around 80?, very warm.

Not a single part per million of CO after 6 minutes of burning diesel. I expected SOME CO to show up. But I'm not complaining!

I suspect that your CO meter is not reading properly.

agallant80

Commander

If you are heating then letting the room cool down you will get condensation on your tools, the room needs to be at a relativity constant temperature. I would look at an in-wall heater.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I suspect that your CO meter is not reading properly.

+1 ^^

I don't think I'd gamble on a non-vented heater in a confined space.
Carbon dioxide level is also an equal threat.

Last edited: