So I pulled the stern drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgeram2500

Cadet
Bought the boat 2 years ago, and only used it twice. Second time out I noticed that the shift cable bellows had come off. So the boat sat for a year until I got my garage finished so I could work on it, lol. This is what I found when I pulled the outdrive:
P1010003.jpg

Guess the U joint bellows are leaking too. Does it look like gear oil in there or just water mixed with grease from the u-joint? Here's what the u-joint looked like:
P1010005.jpg

It looks like the u-joint was under water because there was surface rust on the bottom third of the u joint. I doused it with Fluid Film before taking these pics. The u joint feels good and tight though, should it just be cleaned and greased or replaced because it was under water?

Also, all the bellows write ups I read discuss removing the shift cable from inside the boat, however I was told i could just disconnect the aft end of it and pull the gimble ring (not sure if this is the right term....what the sterndrive bolts to) off leaving the shift cable with the boat. Is this true? Thanks!

1968 MC-1 drive (120)

Edit: I plan on replacing the gimble bearing, doing an alignment, bellows, impeller, and pressure testing the outdrive.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: So I pulled the stern drive...

looks like gear lub and water mixed to me...

yer gonna be doing the same thing i did when i got my boat.
I plan on replacing the gimble bearing, doing an alignment, bellows, impeller, and pressure testing the outdrive.
to add to your list..
-water hose
-ujoints
-new style shift shaft seal. http://www.mercstuff.com/bellhousingstuff.htm look at this one.. 65 - 93 Pre-Alpha & Alpha One. i had to do the shift shaft and lever too as i ruined them getting them apart.
-ft. seal in the drive + the yoke
-i had to do brgs for the drive gear yoke too. they were blue.
-new shift cable w/bellows

as for shift cable removal. the mc-1 ya gotta remove the bell housing to get to the drive for the shift cable. that cable is nla. the new style works well but ya gotta use a special straight tap on the screw threads in the bell housing to get them all the way to the aft end of the bell housing. (special mercruiser tap required). then install new cable from the aft end.

get yourself mercruiser service manual #1 somewhere. c-90-68648. likely comes in two books, least mine is. read it close and follow the instructions close.
the s/m is a must have tool.. imho..

dodgeram2500

Cadet

I have a seloc manual but I'd prefer factory... I found a link for manual #1 on a 4shared site, but the manual is less than 1mb..its only a few pages long. So I gotta pull the bellhousing huh....oh boy...

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just went through this, mine is almost back together.. I was able to remove the cable from the bell housing, but I had the housing off to do so, and in the end I replaced the cable anyway...pretty straight forward work. Check the short yoke for grooves while you are in there...

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i went threw the same thing with my boat a year ago. but my u-joints were much more rusty. i cleaned the u-joints up greased them, replaced the bellows, gimbal bearing and water lines, shift cable and resealed the entire outdrive with all new parts. still runnin strong. bellows have a few cracks in em but still good. advice when going back together. the exhaust bellow is dam near impossible to get on(left mine off, its a bit louder =]) if you cant tighten a clamp(gimbal bellow usually) you can drill a small hole in the side of the outdrive in the proper location to fit a screw driver. as for the gimbal bearing, put it in the reverse way you pulled the old one out. makes the next time you do it soo much easier. also put anti sieze on the drive shaft splines.

dodgeram2500

Cadet

Awesome posts! Thanks! I think I might weld up an outdrive stand/parts washer before i do much else on the boat. I'm in no rush...got a few more months before the lakes thaw! Looks like I need a trim cyl hose too... As long I can get 'er half *** reliable for under a grand in parts I'll be happy.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put in new upper seal kit, all bellows, gimbal brg, short yoke, lower shift cable, shift cable slide, new hinge pin tool, new alignment tool, bellows adhesive, drive gasket set, fuel filters, and u joints all for under $200 so you will be fine..

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did bellows, cable, gimbal, shift shaft seals myself, but I am pretty sure it added up to alot more than 200 bucks in parts. I used merc bellows as suggested by Don etc. on this board, so maybe that is the difference, but I think 200 for the parts is low, my memory may fail me. My .02, good luck

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used all Sierra parts, and some things like the tools came from ebay, gimbal bearing was on amazon for $37.... I guess you could say I shop around...

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

QUOTE=ziggy;3070742]
(special mercruiser tap required). then install new cable from the aft end.
QUOTE]

It is standard 1/4" NPT tread

ziggy

Admiral

It is standard 1/4" NPT tread
no
the tap is straight, not tapered like a pipe tap is normally.
i believe it's a 1/4-18 npt (which is normal npt thread), but the tap is STRAIGHT, not tapered like a pipe tap. it's a special tap. can't remember it's exact proper terminology. but for sure it's special.
fwiw. unless mercstuff has changed there tune. don't get the tap there (i did). it's not the right tap as it is a npt tap. that is wrong.
again. a straight tap. special tap. mercruiser has one for sure for ya..

you tap it with a normal npt and you'll ruin you bell housing. i almost did. really made me curse mercstuff for selling me the wrong thing when i thought i was being hip..

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

From the Merc manual....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shift cable tap.jpg
    Shift cable tap.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.