So far I'm 2 for 2 with the new boat!

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: So far I'm 2 for 2 with the new boat!

there was this guy at the public ramp, real busy that day and this guy looked kinda pissed. he backs the trailer down the ramp climbs in the boat starts the mtr and takes off in the channel gets up on a plane and was gone. truck and trailer still on the ramp running. some guy had to park it, just to get out of the way

joe

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's the absolute truth. There are those that have forgotten the plug and those that will! :D

I forgot one time, guess I had a good bilge in that one since it took me a while to notice.

I keep 3 keys typically...one on the boat, one in the car, one at the house. Figure it's safer that way.

jkust

Rear Admiral

All common mistakes. I learned from my dad to never remove the keys from the ignition. Of course I realized later in life that he was forgetful and those were simpler times so now I may just be naive. I also keep the battery switched off when in the garage so I hope no kids ever figure that out and try to play fisherman. I keep a spare on the boat but it is zip tied to something so really in a pinch I would need a cutting tool to remove it.

skargo

Banned

I did that one a few months ago :rolleyes::D

Was backing my jon boat into the river and the forgot to clip the bow line onto the chain,,, chain was off the boat for some odd reason :confused: Stabbed brakes and watched my boat go floating off into the river :eek: Quickly grabbed the transom strap and the boat was just out of throwing distance.

Saw that the boat was floating towards the gated/locked marina dock and had to do some gymnastics to get past the locked gate and onto the dock. Patience, Patience,,, boat drifted under the dock's gangway and I hooked the boat with the transom strap. WHEW!

Oh yeah, it was midnight and not a soul around. If it weren't for the dock I would have been swimming... Not going to make that mistake again.

I did something similar this past summer.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335293 :redface:

waterinthefuel

Commander

reminds me of when i was a kid- our family went on a camping/ fishing trip with another family about 150 miles away to Toledo Bend - largest lake in Texas- and my dad left the boat keys back at our house- he drove home and back to get them though.

My parents have a camp on Toledo Bend. Been having it since 83. Meaning I've been going to it once every other weekend for 27 years. All of my stupid boating stunts have been on the 'bend.

waju

Cadet

The first time using my 28 footer two years ago was a bust. I launched the boat no problem, tied it off to the dock and went and parked the truck and trailer. I returned to the boat and proceeded to run the batteries dead trying to start the damn thing. Once the batteries died I retrailered the boat and went home. I found that I had forgotten to return the emergency kill switch back to the run position. I guess I would have noticed it if I had attached the lanyard:redface:.
On my third launch, I started the boat with the drive up. I had just finished replacing the water pump impeller. Luckily it did not seem damaged.