smoked meat / bbq

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok guys, wife and I are having a fest this weekend. we have been debating/fantasising. lets take a poll

choose 2
Side ribs
Back ribs
Meatloaf
Pork loin
Pork butt/shoulder (to pull)
Brisket (this is both choices needs to be done alone)
Sausages
Chicken quarters
Whole chickens
Turkey breasts
Turkey legs
Salmon (im not great at this so risky)
Wings
Onion bombs (onions stuffed with ground meat)

choose 1 hot side
Smoked Mac n cheese
Smoked new potatoes
Loaded mashed potatoes
Baked beans
Mexican street corn
Jalapeno poppers
Grilled zucchini
Grilled eggplant (nasty don’t chose this)
Roasted peppers

1 cold side

Bruschetta
Tomato and cucumber salad
Garden salad
Pasta salad
Caesar salad
Assorted fridge pickles
Cole slaw
Broccoli salad
Green bean salad
corn salad

aspeck

Staff member
Pork Loin and Turkey Breast with smoked baked beans and cole slaw.

Just bought 4 pork loins (10lb each) for $1.99 a pound ... going to be some good smoking going on at the aspeck house! Have a venison hind quarter to smoke also ... a celebration of opening up our county from the COVID lockdown!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You guys need to stop this and now. OR invite us all over for the food... :applause::thumb:

64osby

Admiral
I had a mastercraft, top of the line but after the control panel went whack for the second time i junked it. To be fair, they replaced the first one no questions asked after I emailed them about buying a replacement as it was out of warranty.....

Enjoy the ride.

Looked again and mine is a Masterbuilt Adventure series, hoping it gives years of service.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 bucks a lb is a steal. im lucky to get it for double that. as for the bambi…….. sooooo good. currently don't have any and since im not a hunter replenishment doesn't happen often. never smoked it though, more of a direct heat meat in my book. happy smoking.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Jenny just throw some chips on the coals and you get best of both worlds. That's what I do on my egg.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I didn't get any invite. I see maybe I am not invited... That's cool, very cool...:cold:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I didn't get any invite. I see maybe I am not invited... That's cool, very cool...:cold:

If anyone gets to middle tn, our door is open. I had the luxury of being a 95% traveling employee for many years and I would say I've met a few hundred boat forum folks, if just for a drink and a hello.

Five of them have become family. I've lost one to cancer. He was my first new 'brother'. I flew in once a month the last eleven months.

Never, ever, pass up a chance to get to know a friend you never knew you had.

Smoked meat optional when gathering but preferred.

Be well friends.

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo333172.jpg
    photo333172.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo333173.jpg
    photo333173.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0

aspeck

Staff member
Jebby, what is the rest of the family going to eat?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my weekend butt, now that i've determined my thermometer is off i got a better end result

QR1y4yx.jpg

UeJxfwJ.jpg

jebby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^ looking good. I have the last of my leftovers for lunch today. the kids crushed it. might do a TBD chunk of pig this weekend. cousin and i are doing a brisket next weekend for the wives birthdays

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
and i saw on Symons show this weekend something similar that i tried this weekend with success. First, i'm dumped lump coal unless i'm going to do searing. What i did was dump a bunch of old fashion Kingsford but only lit one side and didn't let spread too much. Butt on the opposite side, wet chips on hot coal, close lid (I'm using a BGE). The coals slowly moved about halfway to the but and temp was great the whole time. In fact the juices dripping on the not lit coals kept them not ignited. Right at the end I opened up lid, let everything catch and seared the bottom of the butt and more importantly let me perfectly grilled ears of corn. Then since it is a BGE, close lid and shut down and have plenty of coals left for next run.

What Symon did was close to the same in a Weber, starting with just a couple coals on the outside edge of the pan then adding more as you circle around, like maybe a highway off ramp. I think I'm going to try his system next time.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I've pretty much abandoned lump charcoal and use briquets almost exclusively. Very few instances in where I found lump works better. I know it's not as hip, but briquets burn more evenly and predictably. (I rarely use the briquets infused with lighter fluid, unless I'm camping out or cooking on the beach, where I don't want to drag a chimney and newspaper with me.)