Smoke out the telltale!! Mercury 9.8

Rodman738

Seaman Apprentice
Recently purchased a 79 mercury 9.8. Motor will start,smoke will come out of telltale for a few seconds when water starts coming through telltale engine will stall! I'm no mechanic but I'm thinking I have a bad gasket? Just wanting a second opinion thanks. Love these Darn Mercury's!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
exhaust cover gasket would be my thought

Scott Danforth

Staff member
nice looking Hellion in your pic

Rodman738

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Scott! Hopefully I can get this Mercury running and get it back on the lake. I will probably just get a gasket kit . Probably as soon as I replace one another will go. Thanks for advice!! What kind of speed did you get out of your Hellion with 9.8? My Johnson overheated but I got 21 mph with it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Being such an oldie, replace head and exhaust gaskets, take advantage to decarbon piston heads, exhaust chamber and cylinder head, ckeck/replace thermostat/gasket, water pump's liner/impeller condition. Clean all water passages...

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----There is no cylinder head on that 9.8 motor !-----There may not be a thermostat either.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks Scott! Hopefully I can get this Mercury running and get it back on the lake. I will probably just get a gasket kit . Probably as soon as I replace one another will go. Thanks for advice!! What kind of speed did you get out of your Hellion with 9.8? My Johnson overheated but I got 21 mph with it.

I never finished it, sold it as a project the day after I installed the '85 electric start 9.8. the guy that bought it, said he hit 27.

I did make a custom set of mini trim tab for the boat. basically a half-scale set of bennet sport tabs. used turn-buckles for the actuators, however had found small hydraulic cylinders if I wanted to power them.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't have a "Head" on my Merc 110, the plugs screw into a cylinder and there is a block cover that goes over it, which is part of the water cooling system. Many confuse this part as being a "Head" but it just contains the water.

It does not have a thermostat either..

Attachments

• photo298249.jpg
    photo298249.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1
  • photo298250.jpg
    photo298250.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1

Rodman738

Seaman Apprentice
The compression is around 110. With motor tore down for gaskets would it be wise to put new rings or anything else?
Thanks for all the great advice!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Rings are not that expensive so if you have it torn down that far, no reason not to, check the cylinder walls for scores or a lip at the top to make sure it does not need to be bored out a bit. That said, my 110 runs about 110 on the compression test and I have never had any problems with it at all, so that is probably an "at your discretion" type situation.

By the way what is the serial number on this motor?

Last edited:

Rodman738

Seaman Apprentice
serial number is 5317208. I guess when I get it apart I can decide what I need to replace. Hopefully it doesn't need bored!
I wonder if gaskets drying out on these older Mercs is a common problem. I guess I can understand why on a 40 year old motor. Thanks for your comments!! Love these Old Mercs!!