Smarttabs

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I acquired a set of Smarttabs for Christmas. Was on my list. Ive watched a lot of vids, reviews, advertisements etc and the logic behind them seems sound. Has anyone had much experience with them? Ill be putting them on a Sunbird Corsica 175 bow rider with a 140 cobra I/O when the spring comes up here in Ontario. Im always willing to try something new just to see.

randy

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
Yes ...11 years and going...Smart Tab SX with the fold up bracket for beaching and my bunk trailer.
100% work as advertised....install and proceed with confidence.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have the bennett adjustable type , my boat would be a complete dog out of the hole without them . You'll like em

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Be certain to acquire a tube of 3m 5200 to aid in the installation when the time comes....... just telling you ahead so you have time to shop/order. Yes tabs are great!

Alumarine

Captain
I installed Nauticus Smart Tabs to solve a listing problem on my Sylvan when I was by myself.
They worked great for that as well as being able to plane quicker when I had a heavy load.
I did swap them for Bennet Hyrdraulic Tabs that I got a good deal on so I could have more control.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Are you hoping to solve some problem with the SmartTabs (e.g., porpoising, chine walking, trouble getting out of the hole)? As much as I like mine (for resolving chine walking), I would not add them without a reason.

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Two reasons, was porpoising at wot and when i pulled off the throttle, the bow would come up big time and at low speed was way to high in the water. Im hoping this helps. I have a sunbird Corsica 175 bow rider with a brand new 140 hp I/O.

randy

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
How are you adjusting your trim when accelerating and decelerating?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Are you hoping to solve some problem with the SmartTabs (e.g., porpoising, chine walking, trouble getting out of the hole)? As much as I like mine (for resolving chine walking), I would not add them without a reason.
Having experienced chine walking on a particular boat, starting at a particular speed/trim angle, would you mind taking the time to explain your initial situation and then your adding STs and the initial results, and the final results once you educated yourself and found the final sweet spot?
Thanks,
Mark

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My boat, a 19' bowrider, was repowered from a 4.3 Volvo Penta to a 350 Mag and when I hit about 50 mph, the boat would start chine walking. Pretty unnerving. I also had pretty substantial bow lift.

I did some reading here and other places and SmartTabs were mentioned as an option. Initially, the actuators were not sufficiently firm, but Nauticus shipped a replacement set and with a bit of trial and error, I got them dialed it. It was really a pretty easy process. No more chine walking, either.

One unexpected benefit is that the SmartTabs allow me to stay on plane at lower speeds, which is really handy when pulling the kids on a tube. I can now get up on plane at 18-19 mph; I like to pull the tube at about 22 mph, so it's nice to not be constantly falling off plane when giving rides.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I have the SX smart. Had a problem with high bow rise at slow speeds. Fitted them and been great. On plain in no time and a very stable ride.
They are on a 16ft speedboat with a V4 120 outboard.
I would recommend 100%

ezmac

Seaman Apprentice
Have Bennet smart tabs on my 17ft center console Century. Stopped porpoising problem.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Nearly any planing boat can benefit from a trim system to one degree or another. My boat, a Bryant 214, didn't really suffer from performance issues but I desired lower planing speed, and some help with slow speed wander. I know the helm adjustable tabs are superior and I debated the decision. I'm an inland boater so I didn't have the following sea concerns the smart tabs raise so I went with the SX Nauticus tabs. Bryant Boats, at least of my vintage, had the fuel tank mounted ahead of the floor storage so it was well balanced fore and aft and never suffered with much with bow lift. For this reason I went with only 40 lb. actuators. I run them in the stiffest position. I did buy/install the retractor plate levers. I wanted to avoid the situation where 3 high school football players were sitting on the bow and I had no way to defeat/lift the tabs. I have long arms and can reach them over the transom. My conclusion: They did exactly what I wanted. Slightly less plane time and, did not eliminate, but greatly improved slow speed wander which I really appreciate. Well worth $150. To the OP, I believe your boat is tailor made to see a big benefit from the smart tabs, pending they don't get in the way of the boarding ladder. My advice, go lighter on the pounds of actuators than is recommended. My 2 cents.