Smart Tabs on an '85 Ranger Bass Boat

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Smart Tabs on an '85 Ranger Bass Boat

Here is a little trick that we have used to determine at what speed the plates were retracting.

Attach a string to the starboard side plate (use one of the five holes in the bracket), long enough to reach the helm. Run it up and over the transome to the gunnel area near the helm and slightly forward of the helm sao tyhat it can be viewed while driving the boat.

Attach a strong rubber band to the end of the string, then stretch it (3 or more inches)and secure it to something stationary. Mark the string and the gunnel next to the string for a reference point. You now have a temporary trim indicator. Go to the starboard trim tabs and push it up to horizontal, noting that the string moves forward as the rubber band contracts. The reference marks should now show you that the tabs have retracted (the mark on the string should have moved forward and no longer lines up with the mark on the gunnel.

As you bring the boat up to plaining speed, about 18 to 20 mph, you should see the string move forward indicating that the tabs are retracting. If the string moves forward at slower speeds such as 15 to 16 mph, then the actuaor position should be changed to a stronger setting. Move from hole 3 (current position) to hole 4. In any case the tabs should be fully retracted by the time you reach 20 to 22 mph.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a little trick that we have used to determine at what speed the plates were retracting.

Attach a string to the starboard side plate (use one of the five holes in the bracket), long enough to reach the helm. Run it up and over the transome to the gunnel area near the helm and slightly forward of the helm sao tyhat it can be viewed while driving the boat.

Attach a strong rubber band to the end of the string, then stretch it (3 or more inches)and secure it to something stationary. Mark the string and the gunnel next to the string for a reference point. You now have a temporary trim indicator. Go to the starboard trim tabs and push it up to horizontal, noting that the string moves forward as the rubber band contracts. The reference marks should now show you that the tabs have retracted (the mark on the string should have moved forward and no longer lines up with the mark on the gunnel.

As you bring the boat up to plaining speed, about 18 to 20 mph, you should see the string move forward indicating that the tabs are retracting. If the string moves forward at slower speeds such as 15 to 16 mph, then the actuaor position should be changed to a stronger setting. Move from hole 3 (current position) to hole 4. In any case the tabs should be fully retracted by the time you reach 20 to 22 mph.

Since I live here on the lake, I'll go try this before I call you. Thanks.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I sent you the e-mail with my address concerning the 80lbs actuators as we discussed on the phone. I'll be sure and post on here, the results, when I get them tested. Thanks so much for working with me on this.

DRR324

Recruit

I understand your dilema, need to get on plane quicker. I had the same issue with my 1990 Ranger fishing tourneys on rivers. My simple- stupid fix, fill the front livewell, and set 2- 50lb sand bags on the front deck when taking off.
It helped keep the front down, the motor up, and even helped when slowing down- all to keep the motor out of the gravel and rocks.
I just moved them while fishing and put em back up on take off. I only had to use them for 2 tourneys a year on a particular body of water, so it wasn't like your situation of daily fishing the river. It may help in some way tho'.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I understand your dilema, need to get on plane quicker. I had the same issue with my 1990 Ranger fishing tourneys on rivers. My simple- stupid fix, fill the front livewell, and set 2- 50lb sand bags on the front deck when taking off.
It helped keep the front down, the motor up, and even helped when slowing down- all to keep the motor out of the gravel and rocks.
I just moved them while fishing and put em back up on take off. I only had to use them for 2 tourneys a year on a particular body of water, so it wasn't like your situation of daily fishing the river. It may help in some way tho'.

I what you mean about weight forward as my fishing partner is about 65yrs old, 180lbs and I'll sometimes have him set on the front deck when we are in the river, but all he does is complain that if I hit something it'll send him over the front. I tell him, I'll stop and pick him up, but he just doesn't see the humor. It's just hard to find good fishing buddies anymore. ;-)

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE;
After much testing and lots of failure, we finally have success. Here is the e-mail I sent to John;

Hi John and Greg. I finally got the 80lbs actuators Wednesday of last week. I installed them and no mater what I did, things were worse. No better getting on plane and killed my top speed by 8 mph. I finally talked to someone who used to work for Ranger and remembered the ?85 340V. He said they only made the boat for a couple of years, as they were very hard to get on plane because of the way it was designed. He suggested moving my 2 trolling motor batteries to under the front deck, which I had already thought about doing. I was able to get to it yesterday evening. I loaded the boat with all my fishing gear, trolling batteries up front under the front fishing deck, starting battery and 3 bank charger in the back, 32 gals

of fuel, my fat butt, (260lbs), my fishing partner, (180lbs), my 6 1/2lbs, good luck charm, Maltese, named Pistol Pete. I took it out this morning with the 60lbs actuators and with several test runs in different holes, I settled on the 5th/heaviest hole. My hole shot is from 4 to 5 seconds. Wow, what a difference from 15 to 20 seconds. My top speed is about the same. I am returning the 80lbs actuators with my thanks for letting me try them. Also thanks for your patients with me as I figured this out.
Again, Thank you very much. I am very happy now.

I took it to the river this morning and was amazed at how well it handles. On plane in 5 seconds. Bow raises about half as high as before tabs. Will stay on plane at 15mph and running a lot less draft as I could tell we were setting a lot higher out of the water on slow plane. I also filled both livewells full of water. The tabs are doing everything I expected and more. Highly recommend them for every boat. Thanks John for creating such a useful system.