Smart Tabs on an '85 Ranger Bass Boat

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm kind of perplexed as to where to mount the Monster tabs. I've e-mailed Nauticus, but I wanted you folks input also. I've attached a picture of my transom. The place I would assume would be ideal is not a flat surface as it has a concave to it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF9170 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF9170 [640x480].JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF9169 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF9169 [640x480].JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 0

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Smart Tabs on an '85 Ranger Bass Boat

I can't believe no one has mounted tabs on a ranger. Any one got any ideas???

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I'm kind of perplexed as to where to mount the Monster tabs. I've e-mailed Nauticus, but I wanted you folks input also. I've attached a picture of my transom. The place I would assume would be ideal is not a flat surface as it has a concave to it. Any ideas?

Why do you need tabs?

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why do you need tabs?

I've already got my answer, but to answer your question, We fish a shallow river and need to get on plane as fast as possible without the stern being pushed down. Also need to go slow on plane. We are also stern heavy with 3 batteries, 3 bank batt. charger, 3 gal oil reservoir, 32 gal. fuel, 2 livewells full of water and fish and 2 fat men.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Captn Chris;
Why wouldn't you want to use trim tabs?

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jdeajro, I talked to Greg about where to mount the tabs and because the ideal surface is concave he told me I would have to mount on the flat surface of the transom. My transom is a 3 step transom. If there is room for the mounting plate and the acuator will work, would you recomend mounting them to the second step or the third step? As the boat rides on the pad, (first & second step), at WOT, I'm a little concerned about the third step being out of the water at WOT and the tabs being pointed down somewhat causing drag. Please look at my pics to see what I'm talking about. My tabs are due to arive tomorrow so I'll have a better idea of the mounting plate.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Mount them on either side of the motor, and as far apart as possible. Do not be concerned that they will create drag. There will be enough water comming of the bottom to keep the tabs up. You will likely need to move the sensor/transducers.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mount them on either side of the motor, and as far apart as possible. Do not be concerned that they will create drag. There will be enough water comming of the bottom to keep the tabs up. You will likely need to move the sensor/transducers.

+1 You dont want them doing much at WOT regardless, but even if that part of the boat is generally out of the water, enough force will keep them up. And I dont think those shallow concave sections of the hull will hurt anything, as long as the mounting bracket is not below the hull in any area. People even mount smart tabs across strakes, and I think that would be more of a concern than the concave sections of your hull.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. It's supposed to rain cats & dogs tomorrow, but I'll be the one getting wet in my back yard then on the lake. Sure glad my drill is insulated, but I'll probably string a tarp just in case. If they do what I'm hoping they'll do, I'll be one very happy boater/fisherman. Don't worry, I'll post results.

RL Gman

As for the conclave's, I would have to fashion some kind of shim as the concave is a 1/2" deep at 10" so the simplest thing is to mount them on the flat part of the transom.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RL Gman

As for the conclave's, I would have to fashion some kind of shim as the concave is a 1/2" deep at 10" so the simplest thing is to mount them on the flat part of the transom.

Yeah, ignore everything I said! lol :D

I completely missed what you meant and what your pictures showed!...I thought you meant the concavity of the hull...not the concavity of the transom!! :eek:

Sorry about that!

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, ignore everything I said! lol :D

I completely missed what you meant and what your pictures showed!...I thought you meant the concavity of the hull...not the concavity of the transom!! :eek:

Sorry about that!

No problem. I would really like to mount them on the concave surface, but don't have the slightest idea how to fashion a mount and can't afford to have someone make it out of aluminum like it should be. I'm hoping they work just fine, to the left of the concave, on the flat part of the transom. I realize, I'll have to move the water temp sender, but that's no problem at all.

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem. I would really like to mount them on the concave surface, but don't have the slightest idea how to fashion a mount and can't afford to have someone make it out of aluminum like it should be. I'm hoping they work just fine, to the left of the concave, on the flat part of the transom. I realize, I'll have to move the water temp sender, but that's no problem at all.

I completely agree...that area would be PERFECT for them on that boat...but I would have no idea where to start with mounting them on that concave surface. It would definitely have to be a custom job, and maybe the manufactures have a way of doing it?! Dont know...

But yeah, they'll work fine where you're talking!

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, here is my review of the Smart Tabs/Monster Tabs. After 3 days of testing, I'm not as happy with the hole shot as I thought I would be, BUT, I am getting about the same hole shot without having that stupid looking "Whale Tail" on my motor. I just need to get used to the fact, my stearn heavy boat is just hard to get on plane. I am 100% happy with being able to make a turn without my prop slipping. I even made a moderate turn at WOT which I would not even attempt before Smart Tabs. As for control in rough water, the ride is better, but not a lot better. I will admit that the Ranger rides quite well in rough water anyway. Top speed, (GPS), seems to be +/- 1mph. I can trim it all the way out without it chine walking. Slow speed planning is some better, in other words, I can go some slower on plane.

Overall, I'm happy with my Smart Tabs. I'm going to say, I'm disappointed with the hole shot, but at least I got rid of the whale tail. Being able to make a turn without prop slip is almost worth the purchase.

Bottom line, I'm happy with my purchase and will recommend them to friends and family.

virii01

Seaman

Try moving the actuator to stiffen the tabs up a bit and see if it helps planing.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try moving the actuator to stiffen the tabs up a bit and see if it helps planing.

Believe me, I've tried every position possible including raising the motor up and down with the manual jackplate. Anything in the stiffer than the 3rd/middle hole just seemed to throw water up the transom and onto the outboard when underway. Didn't help the holeshot at all. That's why I spent 3 days evaluating.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

alwims;

I kinow this will sound a bit odd but try slow to moderate acceleration instead of full throttle. Let the plates get some bite before the bow rises. Call me if you wish at 800-233-0194.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

alwims;

I kinow this will sound a bit odd but try slow to moderate acceleration instead of full throttle. Let the plates get some bite before the bow rises. Call me if you wish at 800-233-0194.

Heck I thought I tried everything. I'm going fishing in just a few minutes, I'll let you know latter today.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not a very good day for fishing as they were all hiding from me. Anyway, Jdeagro, No Joy on the slow to moderate take off. I did, however, try taking off with the livewells full of water and did notice some, not a lot, but some improvement to my hole shot compared to the past with the livewells full of water. Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase. I was just hoping for more with the hole shot.

I did notice that even with the actuators in the middle hole, I was still getting water on the outboard coming up the transom. I guess I just didn't notice it last time out. You don't have any used 80lbs actuators a guy could try to see if they would help, do ya?

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

alwims;

We have a standard policy of exchanging actuators at no charge within the first 30 days.

I think you should give me a call so that we sort this out btter. 800-233-0194

Do you know when the Tabs are coming up (at what speed)?

John

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

alwims;

We have a standard policy of exchanging actuators at no charge within the first 30 days.

I think you should give me a call so that we sort this out btter. 800-233-0194

Do you know when the Tabs are coming up (at what speed)?

John

John, I was kind of joking about the 80lbs actuators, but I'll give you a call in the morning. Thanks.

"Do you know when the Tabs are coming up (at what speed)? " No, I've been having to do all the testing by myself and I'm not brave enough to leave the drivers seat and look. :)

Here are a couple of pictures of the install. The problem may just be the way the hull is designed.

Attachments

• DSCF9171 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF9171 [640x480].JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF9172 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF9172 [640x480].JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 0