Small vibration, rattling noise. Any ideas?

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Working on a 99 4.3. Just got it last fall. I have already done a TON of work on the engine a including head gaskets. I just replaced the raw water pump. I've had the lower unit off several times working on various things. I bought an alignment tool to ensure a good alignment. I think I'm almost sea Worthy.... But i can't seem to figure out a vibration that is quite evident at idle. I even hear some rattling that seems like it's coming from the rear of the engine. I would have guessed that it was the gimbal bearing but, when i had it apart the bearing seemed ok to me. Any thoughts on what else it might be? Motor mount bolts are all tight. Thanks all!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Probably the shutters making their normal noise. Does it go away as revs are increased?

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well.......i know that's not the case. There are no shutters installed:). But the vibration does go away under load.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Well.......i know that's not the case. There are no shutters installed:).

:eek: Suggest you get some installed, lest you want an engine with a belly full of seawater.

But the vibration does go away under load.

Pull the drive, stuff a hose up the water inlet on the bell housing and see if the vibration is gone. If it is, then it's the gimbal bearing, unis, or something in the drive. If the vibration is still there, I'd first be looking for those missing shutters, then think about a loose flywheel or engine coupler...

Chris........

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Coupler 😞. The motor might have to come out again. Is there a way that i can check the coupler without taking anything apart? I hate assuming.

achris

Coupler 😞. The motor might have to come out again. Is there a way that i can check the coupler without taking anything apart? I hate assuming.

If you have the space, and can get your hand down there. Pull the drive and then see if you can move the coupler by hand. (Just because you can't doesn't mean it's not the problem. ;))

Pulling the engine's no big deal, and if you do find that the vibration is still there with the drive off, then it's a sure bet the engine will need to come out anyway... But do the test first, drive off, hose in the bell housing, start her up...

Chris........

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have the space, and can get your hand down there. Pull the drive and then see if you can move the coupler by hand. (Just because you can't doesn't mean it's not the problem. ;))

Pulling the engine's no big deal, and if you do find that the vibration is still there with the drive off, then it's a sure bet the engine will need to come out anyway... But do the test first, drive off, hose in the bell housing, start her up...

Chris........

Will do. Can't believe i didn't even think to look at the coupler with the engine out!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is this on the trailer running on the hose just or does it also happen in the water ?

TunaFish389

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a few rattles.. Found the board under top of transom (where the fold back seats/engine cover screw down) to be loose on outer edges.. I can put my hand under there and stop the noise. It was concerning but now I will fix eventually.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Your boat is around 20 years old. It my have wood rot causing sagging in the mounting. Hammer on the inside of transom and listen for hollow sound. Don't pay a marine surveyor. Do it yourself! With muffs on, have a friend increase throttle and watch and see if any of the 4 motor mounts move. That motor shoudn't move if mounts are tight. Are the rocker arms making noise? You may not have adjusted them correctly or they need adjustment (20 years old?) See if pullies on front of motor move of shake. If you can gain access, examine bellhousing lower inspection plate to determine if you have loose bolts. May need a mirror on long pole. If loose they will rattle. With OD off, check gimbal bearings and u-joints. Gimbal bearing should NOT move inside its keeper or retainer. Then check alignment. Have a friend bump starter (w/o power to ignition) so that flywheel has rotated 180 degrees. Now check alignment again. If loose coupler or flywheel the alignment tool should not fit easily. Good luck!

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I keep hearing about loose flywheels..... Is that a common issue with these. The mounts and transom are very solid so i don't think that is an issue. "Gimbal bearing should not move"..... Now we are onto something. With my alignment tool installed i could move the tool up down or left right with some persuasion. Is that not normal??

achris

.... "Gimbal bearing should not move"..... Now we are onto something. With my alignment tool installed i could move the tool up down or left right with some persuasion. Is that not normal??

Normal if the tool isn't pushed all the way in and is outside the coupler. Have a look at a video I did called 'Understanding gimbal bearings', or something like that. Links to my videos at the bottom of my signature.

Chris...........

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chris... Thanks a ton. That video was awesome. Wish there were more people like you posting things!!!

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In neutral. So prop is not the issue.
it happens with trim all the way down, too. Could be a cylinder misfire....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
In neutral. So prop is not the issue.
it happens with trim all the way down, too. Could be a cylinder misfire....

Yeah. Maybe worth having a look at ignition and fuel system. Could be lucky. Good luck.