Small Shunting

craig1989

Recruit
We currently own a 1998 Four Winns Horizon QX with a fairly standard trailer, just before you ask... there are no breaks on the trailer.<br /><br />We've owned the boat for around 2 weeks now so are very new to the whole boating experience. When trailering our boat to the launch ramp we have noticed some shunting back and forward. The movement is not noticable while accelerating or traveling up a hill. I've checked the ball size and that matches, plus it seems a pretty tight fit.<br /><br />Maybe I'm just confused and this is normal, if so please let me know.. If not please let me know if any of you have experienced similar things or know what the problem is.<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />Craig.

Surffx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Small Shunting

You might try posting in the towing/trailering section for more responses.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Perfectly normal, Craig. You will feel the movement, as the trailer moves up and down and the tires are rolling over bumps and dips that the tow vehicle has already passed. In other words, if you hit a dip in the road with the tow vehicle, a few seconds later the trailer tires are now in that dip and tend to "Pull" back on the tow vehicle. This is most noticible when "Crusing" and no power load on the trailer. As long as the hitch is pretty tight to the ball, you're OK. I really don't know any other way to explain it, if I've even done that now.. :) Hope I didn't confuse you more....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

does your trailer have hydrolic brakes.

rottenray6402

Ensign

He mentioned there were no brakes on the trailer. Make sure you have the proper amount of tongue weight for this set also.If the tongue is to light it will magnify the bumps and so on that the traailer goes over.

craig1989

Recruit

Ok, thanks for your help, I'm going to look into the tounge wait but from what rickdb1boat said I feel better now...<br /><br />thanks