Small Outboard reverse performance

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Mercury 7.5 hp of late seventies vintage.<br /><br />Reverse is not very effective. The prop spins, seems to ventilate a whole lot. Increasing throttle above idle is useless.<br /><br />Motor is on a 12' aluminum boat. Of course reverse performance with more people aboard, is worse.<br /><br />Motor runs fine in forward.<br /><br />I used to have an Evinrude 7.5 1954 on this boat and reverse performance was not any better.<br /><br />Is reverse performance on small outboards just bad?<br /><br />The revers on my Mercury 90 is fine.<br /><br />Tx.<br /><br />Joe

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Small Outboard reverse performance

If small outboards developed too much thrust in reverse the leg would come out of the water.<br /><br />Most small engine props are very inefficient in reverse and most throttles are blocked from WOT in reverse.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps your 12' boat doesn't like to go in reverse. :) <br /><br />My 4hp is bad in R too.<br />But my old 7.5 Merc was pretty peppy in R.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Normal for a small motor. You can take what JB tells you to the bank.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If your engine has through hub exhaust it is much less powerful in reverse as it is going through it's own exhaust.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 4 horse that works great in reverse.... :D :D :D just turn it backwards and open er up. :D :D :D