Slugs, Beer and .....Dogs!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Our gardens here at the shack have been under siege from those slimy little slugs. We planted the veggies early enough this year , but they were not doing well at all due to an onslaught of slimy hungry beasts. The hostas,the echinacia, just about everything green was gettin chewed on..:mad:

Mrs. M and I are not into putting any kind of herbicides/ pesticides or even fertilizers on the ground, but this small battalion of slugs had us on the ropes. I went out and got a few pounds of Sluggo ( iron phosphate) spread it around the bases of the plants ,in the beds, etc. and things were looking much better for this past couple weeks. Numbers were way down , and the plants perked up quite a bit, until this past weekend.

The hostas got hit really hard, and the maters took a pretty bad hit Sunday, they all now look like swiss cheese.. So, it was time to break out the the beer and cups for slug traps. I put 6 of those plastic red party cups in a few areas, sunken in the dirt a bit, and proceeded to fill them with some old stale beer ( 3 cans total) and a dash of yeast for good measure. This usually works great.

I did not really think too much of anything else, other than looking forward to seeing some dead drunk slugs later on that night. I then went to a friends to check out a nice trolling motor , came home, split some wood, sweated, split some more wood , got tired, and then finally cracked a beer for myself. Ahh, that was nice...

The beer reminded me to go out and check on the slug traps. OOOHHHH I was so excited to find they were doing their job.... But they were all empty!

In my absence, Mrs. M had let our dogs out to play for a while, and on further inquiry she was wondering why they were acting goofy and really affectionate! I told her about the beer traps being empty , and we let the dogs out and watched where they went.... Straight over to the gardens, looking for more beer!

Well, now I have to fashion some sort of cap or cover for the traps that will let slugs in , and keep thirsty dogs out.:eek::)The dogs are fine today, they sure slept well though!

Attachments

• hosta damage.jpg
    hosta damage.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Slugs, Beer and .....Dogs!

That is a great story!

aspeck

Staff member

Better devise that cap quick or you are gonna have to take the dogs to AA!:eek:

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

get some of this "Diatomaceous earth (pronounced /ˌdaɪ.ətɵˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder" and sprinkle it on the ground around the plants.
The naturally sharp edges of the fine powder will cut the slugs as they try to crawl over the material. Safe for all those who will walk on or around it.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

any one willing to buy beer for his dogs and or bugs is tops in my book!!!

have a cyber beer on me:D

cute story. hope you get the slugs under control soon
we just got back from the boat and have a nasty spider infestation on it.
dont think our solution will be as easy or elegant as yours seems to be:eek:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

get some of this "Diatomaceous earth (pronounced /ˌdaɪ.ətɵˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder" and sprinkle it on the ground around the plants.
The naturally sharp edges of the fine powder will cut the slugs as they try to crawl over the material. Safe for all those who will walk on or around it.

^^^^
There is no way that some ground-up rock is going to deal with slugs...:rolleyes:
....except that it does. :eek:

Most effective, non-intrusive solution for a garden problem ever!!

foodfisher

Captain

Copper. Ever taste your fingers after handling a pocket full of pennies? Same w/snails amd slugs. String some copper wire around and the critters won't cross it.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the additional info guys!

I went out tonight and got some more iron phosphate and applied it at 1.5# per 1000 feet. :) I felt better , and have seen the results.

Jax-Thanks for the beer! The pooches had a sip too! Good luck with the spiders- we used to use mothballs for winter, and never any spiders but they make the boat stink for a while.:eek:Maybe it could help w/ yours???

Tim and Flycaster- I will get some of that earth stuff. I have heard it will help, and I am wagin war on the mutant slime invasion, and on that note, I have gone out to the garage and found a scrap or two of copper wire.

I took the #2x 20 ish stranded wire apart, cut it in 5 inch lengths, and loosely wrapped it in a coil around the stalks of the plants just above the ground. Not gonna happen with the hostas though:redface:Thanks for confirming that this copper thing works there Foodfisher! I do have some copper metal chips laying under the drillpress right now, maybe those could be sprinkled about near the hostas?

As predicted ( by me) the lab went straight for the cups tonight on his last out, so did the husky. They got a stern NO! and looked at me as if to say Awww..... Dad......But, but, but, the Beer Garden is open!!
The beagle doesnt like beer, so I do not worry about her having to go to
AA, just the other two:) Gotta make caps tomorrow.

The beer traps are working, the traps are set, and the slugs are having a good time after their last little slimy crawl across the garden as we speak.

Here is a pic , reloaded the cups just 1 hour prior to taking this picture.:)

Edit** Just checked, Slug count is up to about 25, 1 cup in the hosta area is kinda thick at the bottom , so it is hard to tell how many are in there, but there were two more bellyin up to the bar!!:D*

Attachments

• slugs.jpg
    slugs.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0