Slow speed idle...

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The idle screws on my 3 carbs vibrate loose... what can I use to keep them in place???:cool:

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Slow speed idle...

I have loc-tite but am afraid that it won't work due to the screws being in contact with gas/oil mixture...

Boatnik70

Cadet

I had the same problem on my '70 Johnson 85 hp. I'm sure it's not the ideal solution, but I used a relatively thick wrap of Teflon tape (especially on the threaded end away from the tip) and it's kept them in place so far.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've tried a single strand of stainless but to thick... thought tape would be eaten away... thought about epoxy but I would be permenent. I will give the teflon a try... Thank u for the response to my dumb question.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you talking about adjustable idle needles, or you talking about screws that are actually plugs over fixed idle orfices? The adjustable ones are retained by tabbed plastic friction rings that fit in the keyhole shape where they screw in. The screw plugs have gasket under the head and just tighten them down, they should stay put.

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is the slow speed idle adjustment screws located above each throat on my carbs. 75 rude 70hp... I tried the teflon tape trick and it's worked so far. Those screws do have a cork gasket under the head and have a key hole taper under each tread opening... Am I missing parts???:cool: