slow boat

richocki

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1994 Regal 233 with a Volvo Penta 5.7GL engine. I had not used my boat for 5-6 weeks when I hauled it the other day. The engine started first turn and idled nicely. Ten minutes into the trip to the boat ramp I opened the throttle and all I could get was 2400-2600 RPM and a speed of about 10-20mph. I tried a couple of times and it was the same. The engine was running good other wise. I had decided to wait until spring to take it to a boat yard.

Today I started the engine to flush it out and use up some gas. All was good for about 15-20 minutes when I noticed the temp was up to 175, it runs about 155-160. I watched it and after about 2minutes it came down. I ran it for 30 minutes and it did this 2 more times. Each time I felt the risers and the port riser was warm each time but the starboard riser got a little hotter each time the temp went to 175. It cooled down when the temp came down each time.
I gave it some quick throttle advances when the temp hit 150 or so today and it hit 3000rpm easy. I know that's not a good idea but I had to see.

Could this temp problem I am seeing be related to my slow speed? Why would my temp go up and down like that? I'd like to figure this out now so I don't have to worry all winter. Thanks.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: slow boat

I think you'd have better luck posting this in the engines and drives section. It's not a Reagl specific problem. That said, I don't think the temperature fluctuations seen have anything to do with the power problem, unless the thing was overheating while power was an issue.

The power issue could be caused by many things. First thing I'd suspect is fuel delivery since it sat for 5-6 weeks, you mentioned "old gas" and there's an awful lot of gas with ethanol out there. Check your fuel filter for signs of water.