Slop in DP290 power steering

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
When I steer I feel a notchy feeling as I change direction. Looking at the power steering actuator, there's a little movement where the cable goes in that could cause that feeling. Is that normal, or is there a fix? Video of the piece moving here: slop

Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, that little movement is the pilot shuttle on the actuator. that is normal. that is required to allow hydraulic oil to the slave side of the actuator

BTW, the VP actuator is almost bullet proof.

looking at your cable movement.....check your steering cable from the helm. they last about 15-20 years and your boat is almost double that. you should be able to take the rack off helm and disconnect the stern end and push and pull the cable with 3 fingers.

no you cant lubricate them

also, check the tiller arm to make sure that is clamped tight.

does the steering helmet and tiller arm move freely when you disconnect the helmet pin and the linkage from the helm cable and actuator? if not, you will need to pull the drive, pull the tiller arm, pull the helmet and clean out the corrosion. get new bushings and seal and re-assembly

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Always a little slack to take up, as said above…but most common is to find the steering bush needs replacing on these, certainly by now, if it’s not already. Will be quite obvious from external inspection. If there is sloppy play in the outdrive side to side.

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks both - very much appreciated. It’s a haul-out year, so I’ll throw some money at the steering. Cable and gear unit are probably sensible things to change out at this age as you say. Wouldn’t want it to give out while I’m out at sea.

Is the length going to be marked on the cable, or is it a case of pulling it out and measuring?

I see some rebuild kits for the actuators - I’ve got no leaks but is it worth doing anyway?
Power steering pump got replaced a couple of years ago, so that should be fine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Helm cable length should be hot stamped every few feet on the old cable

Most likely the existing helm cable is an old teleflex series that has been superceded

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Helm cable length should be hot stamped every few feet on the old cable

Most likely the existing helm cable is an old teleflex series that has been superceded
Thanks, it’s a Morse rack and pinion, so I think the whole lot - helm and all need to be swapped out.

Attachments

• FE0A15DF-376E-4C7C-AD9B-ABC54D095075.jpeg
    FE0A15DF-376E-4C7C-AD9B-ABC54D095075.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I was lucky to just find a cable to match the helm when I did mine a few years back