Slight water seepage from keel bolts

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
My bilge sump has had an inch of water in it for prob 2 years now, just cuz the bilge would not pump it out any lower. But I finally bought a pump that hooks up to a drill, and got the sump dry finally.
after it was dry, some water started comming up thru 3 keel bolt holes. But after 6 hours, its VERY little water. There is just a small trail of water like a ft long.

Could it be that this is not new water, but just old water that was trapped between the keel and boat? And that my hull is still water tight?

20130518_154711.jpg20130518_035257.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Slight water seepage from keel bolts

The only way I can think of to check it is keep it dry, if it keeps getting wet it's leaking. Another way would to add some water to it when it's on land storage and see where it comes out. Thats my guess on it.
Grub

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class

only way i can see of knowing for sure is to get it completely dry and look for weeping around the bolts. Baby powder on a clean dry surface can really help with locating where moisture is coming from. A hair drier and some paper towels can really help dry that area out after going over with a shop vac.

I had some water standing in my boat a year after restoration and found that the straps for inner/spreader stays had loosened. I'm having to remove/clean/re-epoxy and re seal this weekend if weather is nice.

If you know she's not taking in any water (rain water) from above and find no other trails of water I'd be worried about those keel bolts especially before any major sailing.

Id want her pulled and the keel removed/faired/bolts replaced and reinstalled/resealed. I wouldn't want corrosion getting to the point that they come anymore loose or worse yet break off causing any more damage.

Last edited:

bcbit01

Seaman Apprentice

I wouldn't waste any time trying to find the exact source of the water. Get torque specs for the keel bolts and re-torque them all. If the seepage stops, you're good at least for the season until you haul her. Then you can re-bed the bolts and keel properly during Fall lay-up or Spring commissioning. If re-torquing the bolts does not stop the water leak, haul the boat immediately, drop/ease the keel, and make effective repairs. Sinking sucks anyway you stack it. Sinking with passengers doubly sucks.