Slight Oil Leak from BF50

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's getting to be that time of year, so I went out to take a look at my boat and noticed a small oil leak out the backside of the prop. It doesn't seem to be a ton, but just curious if anyone had any idea what it was. I am going to be changing fluids soon, but hate to if something needs to be replaced.

davollman

Recruit
Re: Slight Oil Leak from BF50

first thing to do is pull prop make sure there is no fishing around propshaft. then I would drain gear lube and pressure and vaccum test gear housing before any fluids were changed. if gear housing passes a pressure and vaccum test I would check level and condition of oil possible could have a powerhead gasket leak. Sometimes by pulling the dipstick you get oil in the lower cowling which can run down the tower to the gearhousing there are a few things it could be. start pressure test on gear housing

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds all well and good, but I have no idea how to pressure or vacuum test this thing. My guess is if there is some kind of o-ring around the shaft that that is what is leaking, but I haven't pulled the prop. I do know that the oil is coming from behind the prop, doesn't look to be leaking oil any higher up.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

So just to keep this updated since there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there and I maybe I help someone someday, I'm guessing the oil leak is just coming from the prop shaft seals. From what I gather it takes a special tool to remove this, a tool that costs $150! I've seen where people have tried to remove with a chisel and all they have done is broke their lower unit. So in light of this, I'm going to take it to a Honda dealer and get their take on it. Seems like it might be cheaper to pay someone than to potentially make things worse. I'll update with their findings when I know more.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the boat over to the dealer and he agreed from what he could see that it was most likely the prop shaft seals. He is going to replace not only those, but all the rest in the lower unit, change the oil and impeller then pressure test. If all goes well this should solve my issue and it should be ready to go for this summer.