Slight delamination on aluminum boat, cause for concern?

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2005 Jetcraft welded aluminum. I noticed in the bow (close to the gunnel), I can press on it and it feels like a thin outer later has seperated from a heavier inner layer of aluminum. Goes down maybe 1/8 inch (or less) until it hits the "inner" hull, and only 5 inche square spot. I hope this is clear, hard to explain.

Is this cause for concern? What's happening here? The hull has a lifetime warranty but if it is not a big deal, I don't want my boat sitting around waiting for repairs at the dealer if not needed, and never mind the paint job or whatever that would likely be needed as well.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Slight delamination on aluminum boat, cause for concern?

Never seen aluminum delaminate. Got any pics?

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aluminum is a solid sheet so it's not going to "delaminate". Perhaps you just are seeing the give in the aluminum or something has come loose. Pictures of the area? Can you access the spot to see what it hits when you press in?

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

You might have some twin plating where you are pushing. My Lund has a twin plated hull, two sheets of aluminum. Perhaps where you are pushing you have a sheet of aluminum ontop of another sheet of aluminum and maybe one of those sheets has "warmed up" and expanded and buckled just a tiny bit. Being that your boat is welded this might be an area where there are no fasteners going through the hull to keep the two plates from sepparating. On the flip side my Lund has so dern many rivets that go through the hull I don't think I would have any sepparation.
I'd be it's harmless and you'll be just fine.

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes! That is exactly what is happening. Good to know that it shouldn't be an issue. I had no idea it had a twin plated hull. Just paranoid about hull issues.

You might have some twin plating where you are pushing. My Lund has a twin plated hull, two sheets of aluminum. Perhaps where you are pushing you have a sheet of aluminum ontop of another sheet of aluminum and maybe one of those sheets has "warmed up" and expanded and buckled just a tiny bit. Being that your boat is welded this might be an area where there are no fasteners going through the hull to keep the two plates from sepparating. On the flip side my Lund has so dern many rivets that go through the hull I don't think I would have any sepparation.
I'd be it's harmless and you'll be just fine.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You don't have a twin plated hull, it's pre-flexed. You have a lifetime warranty on your hull. Call the boys up in Vancouver, BC., they'll take care of you. Harbercraft has a fantastic reputation for taking care of their customers.

Just wondering, did you buy the boat new? A soft spot in 5052 Aluminum is caused by one thing and only one thing. Heat.. All of the 5000 series aluminums are hammered to add strength. If you over heat it while trying to remove a dent it will lose more than 50 % of it's strength and flex like your describing.
The side plating on my 2011 Harbercraft/Jetcraft is 1/8" thick, it doesn't flex.

Last edited:

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The thing is, it just goes down a wee bit, then hits solid aluminum(?) underneath. It really feels like a thin sheet of aluminum over a thicker one. It's not like a soft spot on fiberglass , it is really solid under there.

I bought it used but it doesn't look like any work was done to that spot. I can call them and see what they say.

You don't have a twin plated hull, it's pre-flexed. You have a lifetime warranty on your hull. Call the boys up in Vancouver, BC., they'll take care of you. Harbercraft has a fantastic reputation for taking care of their customers.

Just wondering, did you buy the boat new? A soft spot in 5052 Aluminum is caused by one thing and only one thing. Heat.. All of the 5000 series aluminums are hammered to add strength. If you over heat it while trying to remove a dent it will lose more than 50 % of it's strength and flex like your describing.
The side plating on my 2011 Harbercraft/Jetcraft is 1/8" thick, it doesn't flex.