Sleekcraft Makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice
Bought this Sleekcraft August of 2010. Had a couple of soft spots in the floor and had some homemade interior in it.

Attachments

• 2686.jpg
    2686.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2695.jpg
    2695.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2696.jpg
    2696.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Sleekcraft Makeover

Really didn't want to shell out the bucks for new gelcoat so in doing research found info about new paints close to durabilty of gel. Took boat to Britton Boat Repair in Salem, Oregon for a new look. Boat is currently sanded and ready for primer. Fixed some fracturing and filled some of the 8 million holes.

Attachments

• IMG00320-20110429-1651.jpg
    IMG00320-20110429-1651.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00321-20110429-1651.jpg
    IMG00321-20110429-1651.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00322-20110429-1652.jpg
    IMG00322-20110429-1652.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Lookin' Good....

Sleekcrafts are Very Nice hulls...

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Good to see your getting started on it. Can't wait to see the progress.

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

This is the brochure of some colors I was looking at. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this product?

Attachments

• IMG00318-20110429-1649.jpg
    IMG00318-20110429-1649.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Sleeks are so freaking nice Post more pics Love this hull.

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

Finally started making some progress after a month. I made the mistake of saying "no hurry" when I dropped the boat off and of course now I'm getting anxious. I keep forgetting to take camera and so phone pictures don't have good quality. Apparently some previous owner had sprayed a clear coat onto boat and there was only little patches still holding on but definitely was a first for these guys. This was on June 1st.

Attachments

• sanded.jpg
    sanded.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • sanded2.jpg
    sanded2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

I love the old sleek paint scheme that had tangerine like orange and what appeared to be kind of an off white. I was really close to going with this scheme until I found one exactly like it for sale here in Oregon and I definitely wanted my own colors so tangerine was out green was in. I own trucking company and trucks are green and white and pickup is green so it was perfect choice. Still wanted to go with an off white so i picked a bright white and an almond color and asked painter if he could blend them to get what I wanted and he said yes. So after 2 months finally started making progress. This was Friday(July 1) and had just shot first coat on top that morning when I stopped to check progress. They are telling me its going to be very durable and look amazing.

Attachments

• top coat3.jpg
    top coat3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
  • top coat2.jpg
    top coat2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • top coat.jpg
    top coat.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Cool, nice to see another one being restored! I'm hunting for another one to overhaul myself right now.....

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

Still waiting for shop to finish painting. I was going to have them paint trailer but realized this would only add to time frame. I am starting to get anxious. Boat been gone since middle of April. I know, I know, that's quite awhile. I keep thinking positive telling myself I'm glad they are just not turning them out like "Maaco". They do keep telling me it is going to look awesome. Just had to vent a little frustration cause Oregon summers aren't too long and we're back to the rain. I decided to go and get trailer and bring it home to paint it and redo bunks. They were in pretty good shape considering they were not treated. I am kicking myself for throwing away all my carpet scraps when I redid carpet in boat. Anywho, got epoxy primer shot on Thursday night and first coat of green Friday night. Instead of eyeballing green picked for boat I just went with same green as pickup. Should look good(I hope!).

Attachments

• trailerprime.jpg
    trailerprime.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1103.jpg
    100_1103.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1104.jpg
    100_1104.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1105.jpg
    100_1105.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure it is going to look great. We should have a 23' plus old school SleekCraft regatta somewhere. Bascially Executives and Ambasadors. I vote for Lake Eufala OK. It's damn near right in the middle of the good ol USA. (And somewhat close to me. LOL.)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like you have a good trailer to work with...mine was a little rough, lol! Looking forward to your progress....I like the Regatta idea!

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

Finally got whole boat painted. Next couple days they are going to color sand and polish and then done. Hoping to pick up first to middle of next week.

Attachments

• painted boat.jpg
    painted boat.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • painted2.jpg
    painted2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 0

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

And of course in my rush to get boat in water last August when I first got it i jumped gun and boat some seats and couch that I am now unhappy with. (Thanks a lot Mohican!!!!) Loved the brown interior of the older sleeks so got some new low back buckets made in Portland and have made appt to take boat to them around October and redo couch and bench seats underneath.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

Ya i like the woodgrain. Very nostalgic. Plus I like how it breaks up all the white. Gonna have pinstriper guy that does my trucks pinstripe green around the woodgrain. To make me jealous, how many times have you been to lake this year?:facepalm:

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

LOL. We have only had the Ambassador out once. Between issues with my Rebel, stealing parts from the Ambassador for the Rebel and a year of strange weather for these parts it's been hard to find time. Spring was cold longer than usual. Then it got extremely windy for these parts. Next thing you know it is 105* everyday and the lakes are drying up with a quickness. Even thought the Ambassador has been trailer bound we have been out several times in the Rebel.

Your new seats look great. It's cool to see you keeping the vintage feel. What is that document sitting in that seat? looks like an original article on the Ambassador or something. I have an original brochure from around 1980 with a dealer cost sheet.

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

Ya its been a wetter than normal couple of months here too. This is only the 3rd of 4th week in row of at least 80 degrees so I don't feel so bad. So the Texas drought is affecting you guys too?

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Ya its been a wetter than normal couple of months here too. This is only the 3rd of 4th week in row of at least 80 degrees so I don't feel so bad. So the Texas drought is affecting you guys too?

Very much so. Several of the local lake ramps are now unusable. Fortunately the lake closest to us still has usable ramps. We have set several records on both high for the day and warmest low for the day. Looks like we are about to break the longest streak of 100* + days. I think we are at 32 or 33 now and the record is 42 days. Nothing but 100 + on the forecast and no rain in sight. Went to the lake yesterday evening and at the ramp my truck said 115*. That was sitting in the shade of a tree.

83 sleek

Seaman Apprentice

Finally home!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• boathome.jpg
    boathome.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.