Slave solenoid does nothing

Blentz17

Seaman Apprentice
Alright guys another question when attempting to crank the Mercruiser 488, the starter clicks but the slave solenoid doesn’t seem to be doing anything. When I turn over the motor i am 100% sure the starter is clicking but I hear nothing from the slave solenoid. When I attempted to jump the solenoid yesterday, I didn’t get a spark, click or anything. Does this suggest a bad solenoid? The battery is fully charged

alldodge

Staff member
Unless the wiring has been changed the slave has to be working because otherwise how is the starter solenoid getting power to the Yel/Red wire

kenny nunez

Captain
With a test light probe the #10 y/r on the slave solenoid while someone turns the key to start. Sometimes the slave solenoid will click but does not make an internal connection. If it lights then test the same same colored wire on the main starter solenoid. If it still lights then either the main solenoid is the problem or the field circuit itself in the starter is open.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Unless the wiring has been changed the slave has to be working because otherwise how is the starter solenoid getting power to the Yel/Red wire
Not sure if the 488 even had a slave solenoid--early 470s didn't (I don't have a wiring diagram for the early ones). Maybe some goofy wiring/alterations. But yeah, if you're getting a click to the starter then the problem is either the starter, main starter solenoid, or corrosion in between.

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure if the 488 even had a slave solenoid--early 470s didn't (I don't have a wiring diagram for the early ones). Maybe some goofy wiring/alterations. But yeah, if you're getting a click to the starter then the problem is either the starter, main starter solenoid, or corrosion in between.
Manual 3 pages 3F-24 thru 3F-26