Slalom ski spraying me in the face

Hit It

Seaman
I just bought a used slalom ski and used it for the first time this last weekend. This is my first "real" slalom ski, that is it wasn't just a combo ski with a rear toe loop. Anyway, I got up just fine but once I was up and planed out, I kept getting sprayed in the face, especially when I was trying to turn. This hasn't been a problem with other skis that I've used. It was to the point that I couldn't keep my eyes opened.

The ski has an adjustable fin, with a "cheater" horizontal fin. Is there an adjustment that I could make so that when I'm riding the ski the spray is diminished or at least sprays more behind me instead of right in my face? Anything else I should change?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Slalom ski spraying me in the face

Couple things come to mind, is the ski shorter than what you usually ski on? Does it have a wrap type boot on the front? if so do the straps hang beyond the mounts sometimes they will have extra lenght for adj. but it is enough to deflect water up at you. Does this happen when you are just cruising or when you carve a corner? if when cornering you are doing well cause you are coming through the spray you just put up only way to stop it is to make more sweeping turns. The cheater may have some to do with it but I doubt it. or it could be the bottom design of the ski is different. try different positions on the ski, like let it run on the water instead of leaning back so much. or lean back a bit more than normal and see what happens. If the concave on the bottom doesn't go from edge to edge you may need a bit more aggressive design ski. experiment a bit and see how it goes you could remove/adjust the foil but they are essentially like the brakes on a waterski. lean back foil pulls ski down into water more thus slowing you down. Post back with what you find. It could just be the ski has a weird quirk to it..

BF

Lieutenant

I haven't had that happen with any of my ski's... but I do have ski's that put a wicked blast of spray that hits your back leg. I have a neoprene calve guard for that purpose. If you don't wear it, you end up with a bad bruise on the side of the shin.

codertimt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I get bad spray from my HO VTI if going too slow. At my current weight anything below 31-32 mph and it's in my face...

Try speeding up a few mph and see how it reacts...

Hit It

Seaman

Speed may be the key. I was behind a weak boat that couldn't pull me quite as fast - probably somewhere in the high 20's. I'll try the other suggestions too and let you know what I find out. Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

shifting you weight has a lot to do with it.

Holy Smoke

Cadet

If your concaved bottom is quite aggresive, you are getting sprayed when you are going more straght when you are behind the boat. If you need to rest, and you want to go straght, put yourself out far out side the wake. Lean out. get your rest, and then start carving curves again. Slaloms are made to turn. Let us know how it works.
;)

Hit It

Seaman

Finally got a chance to get out on the ski behind different boat with more power and it looks like speed was the key. Sped up a few mph and no more spray in the face. Thanks for the suggestions!