Skydiving?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Skydiving?

I would LOVE to skydive but I have an irrational fear of heights. I'm one of those types that has no problem flying at 40,000 feet but gets nervous and jerky if I'm on a ladder or rooftop. :rolleyes: Still haven't figured that one out. :D I always have a lot of dreams about falling, maybe that has affected my psyche. :confused: <br /><br />Heck, I say go for it! I understand that the equipment is extremely safe, let me know how it turns out, maybe I can conquer a fear!!!

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Never had a problem with flying. I worked for Greyhound bus lines way back when and I found out they would let busses got out safe but maybe? <br /> I then went into the military and guess what? Same thing! <br /> No one will give you a guarntee but if want to do it, then go for it.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Its on my list of things to get done. Should have went through Airborne school when I was an instructor on Ft. Benning. They had a professional courtesy thing where if you were an instructor on base you could go through and train along with a class load without that whole torture torment thing they do to the trainees. I never got around to it though, too busy pumping out joes for the Gulf War...

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Watch the movie "Fandango" before you make the decision!<br /><br /> ;)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

If you don't do it you will live to regret it.<br />This Buddy Jump thing attached to an instructor seems the best option for the 1st drop. <br />I have never jumped from over 1,200ft so the flying time wasn't too long, but understand the higher you jump from the longer the view. <br />Never done a night drop tho - which I regret.<br />cheers<br />Phillip

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DJ said: Your life insirance policy is null and void, should you engage in that activity. <br /><br />What is this "life insurance" thing you speak of?<br />I pay someone to pay someone else if I die? No thanks! Just joking DJ.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Boom, I was an instructor at the M2 Bradley School on Ft. Benning. After basic and advanced training, new recruits who were to be assigned to units with Bradleys had to go through the school first. Originally we used to house (and torture) the new recruits, but it changed and the drill sergeants would bring the recruits to us, we trained (and tortured) them and the drills took them back to their barracks at the end of the training day. We used to call them "joes". <br /><br />The very next classload of "joes" after Saddam invaded Kuwait was maxed out, and we ended up teaching two classloads a day, from before 5:00 am to after 10:00 pm. We only had Sundays and Christmas off during the war, I would have rather gone to the war.

eeboater

Commander

For my graduation, my best friends mom bought my friend and I a skydiving trip.<br /><br />We had to choose between tandem and solo. Solo is where they actually attach the deployment strap of the chute to the plane so when you jump out by yourself the plane deploys the chute for you.<br /><br />I recommend this - mainly because after I did my jump I watched 3 people who went down tandem that got squished by the person on their back when they hit the ground.<br /><br />Awesome experience. <br /><br />Sean

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Definately do it! <br /><br />There are 4 things in this world tied for the best experience...parachuteing, bungee jumping, drag racing, and stock car racing.<br /><br />All 4 will either cancel your health policy too, at least it did mine. <br /><br />Really, do this. If you like the freefall before the chute opens, go bungee jumping next. If you like the floating after the chute opens better, then go hang gliding next.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

I did 8 or 9 jumps when I was your age, and I'd do it again (if the wife would let me).<br /><br />That "static" or "teathered" 1st jump is quite safe. Think about it, you really don't hear that many fatal news stories about skydivers, and when you do, it's usually the more advanced jumpers (some don't even have an emergency chute).<br /><br />Agree with the earlier suggestions about your time committment. The tandem jump is quicker, and less expensive, and you get the full enjoyment because there's quite the free-fall. When you start on your own, your first few jumps are rather low altitude, so it's mostly just gliding around the countryside.<br /><br />If you decide to go for-it, try to pick a good weather day - there's nothing that compares to jumping on a beautiful day! They won't take you up on in the rain or extreme wind, but the better the weather, the better your experience.