Skydiving?

ZmOz

Captain
Going to be turning 20 here shortly. :eek: I'm considering going skydiving. Anybody here been skydiving? Is it worth the ~$350 it would cost me and a friend to go? Seems like it would be an expensive 5 minutes. Do you have to spend any time training if you're going with an instructor?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Skydiving?

Oh it is absolutely worth it! <br /><br />Go for it.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't see, and can't imagine any reason to jump out of a perfectly good flying plane.. :)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've made 37 jumps and still here. I got lots of training prior to ever jumping. Didn't cost me anything, as a matter of fact I got paid for it. Of course being aircrew, it was sorta mandatory.<br /><br />Some people enjoy it and love it. I agree with RetNav,"Why jump out of a perfectly good plane"?.<br /><br />ZmOz, Go for it, you will never experience anything else like it.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

as a once in a lifetime experience try it.....<br /><br />I've done my jumps, bought and paid for by HM Queen & Sons Ltd :D <br /><br />Would I do it again? <br /><br />No way, not in a million years.<br /><br />Why not?<br /><br />cos I'm a big coward :D <br /><br />Ps. Cowards live a longer life :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like SSM, got trained to do it and did it to get aircrew wings.<br /><br />Good thing to know and do if the airplane is broke.<br /><br />If you get a thrill out of defying Mother Nature, try it.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Do it---before good sense kicks in. I wanted to do it when I was 20, but I put it off...and now here it is, uhhh, a few years later, and I don't think I could jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

one more cast

Captain

When I was about 10 my neighbor friend and I tied some bale twine to some feed bags to make parachutes and jumped out of the hay mow window.<br /> ouch, but didn't break anything. Never wanted to skydive after that.

oddjob

Commander

I jumped off a perfectly good roof when I was about 7 with an umbrella. I found out I needed a bigger one. <br /><br />Then my mother caught me before I attempted again in my new custom made Superman suit she made me..<br /><br />Would like to do it before I leave for good. <br /><br />Live like you were dying.....

Rickfifty

Seaman

If you just want to "go along for the ride", try tandem, where you are strapped to the front of a professional skydiver. When I did it, the training took about 20 minutes watching a video and telling you what to expect. The cost was about $90, plus for an extra $20 or so another guy will film the whole thing with a helmet-cam, suiting up, jumping, close up shots of your face flappin' in the wind, landing. After about half an hour on the ground you walk away with a video set to music, a wall plaque and a great memory.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definately worth it, most say better than sex (not me but close), agree to go tandem, less training and safer first time. Jumped about 37 times with 82nd Airborne mostly night jumps, they say your 1st jump is a night jump because new jumpers have their eyes closed from fear, supposed to be more risk driving your car but don't know about that. Once you do it you'll either be hooked from the rush or never want to fly again.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

First 5 times up in a plane: I didn't land in it! We did this just south-west of Portland, Ore.<br /><br />Great experience, as others have said, you'll love it!! We, friend and I, had 4 hrs of training before the first jump. If they don't cover every aspect of the jump; find another place.<br /><br />I couldn't believe how quiet it was on the way down and with no orientation until about tree top; there is no sensation of falling. And remember -- it's not the fall that can hurt, it's the landing! :) :) Pratice that PLF until it's a reaction and smooooth!<br /><br />Next thing for you to put on your list is scuba diving!

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Argee, the fall don't hurt, it's the sudden stop.<br /><br />Just to bla bla, there is term called terminal velocity, this the speed your body will fall through the air. I think it is around 123 mph, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Yeah I did 32 years ago and it is a hoot. I'll never do it again though. To scared or smart now. Like byrdog says, the first one was night jump. I swear I had my eyes open but I don't remember seeing anything till I looked up at the chute! :p

PW2

Commander

A tip: Pay the extra few bucks, and get them to supply a parachute!<br /><br />Seriously, go for it, It is a major rush!

D

DJ

Two things.<br /><br />1. Your life insirance policy is null and void, should you engage in that activity. It doesn't matter whether or not you die doing it. You are then labeled a "high risk" individual.<br /><br />2. Never saw any sense in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Link

Rear Admiral

Nothing finer than the fall before the parachute opens..after that it's pretty mundane until contact with Mother Earth!<br /><br />Thats when a 5 point PLF (Parachute Landing Fall) comes in handy! :) <br /> <br />Like byrdog I did a lot of combat night jumps in the 82nd Airborne also and those are Not a lot of fun. At 800 feet your chute opens, you untie your weapon and have just a few seconds to figure out if it's asphault or water (both look the same at night) if you hit your quick release at 15 feet and go splash! it's cool (actually cold) if you hit your quick release at 15 feet and go Thump it Hurts Big Time! :eek: <br /><br />Seriously though as a civilian with a couple hours of training doing PLF's and jumping from a small plane on a nice day from 2-3 thousand feet it is pretty safe.<br />Let us know how your cherry jump went! ;)

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br />1. Your life insirance policy is null and void, should you engage in that activity. It doesn't matter whether or not you die doing it. You are then labeled a "high risk" individual.<br />
They don't have to know. ;) :p <br /><br />
Originally posted by Hang'n In:<br /> Next thing for you to put on your list is scuba diving!
No, I'm much too claustrophobic for that. I don't even like going under water in a pool. Dunk myself under water - no way. Jump out of an airplane - why not? :D

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I have known people who have jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. Some in the service and some in civilian life. <br /> I say go for it. The worst is a splat on the ground and the best is a great ride to the earth. (that from what I have been told.)<br /> Me, forget it.