Skipping out on Army - What is penalty?

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Skipping out on Army - What is penalty?

You never know... Bootcamp could have a better effect on her and change her ways. Speaking from experience, it did with me! In 1979, I enlisted in the USCG and had long hair down to my shoulders and an attitude to match. The USCG has seen my kind way too many times, and knew exactly what to do.<br /><br />Long story short, they took a wise-a$$ little 18yr old punk kid, broke him down to the lowest common denominator, and built him into being a fine upstanding, decorated, USCG sailor!<br /><br />One of the funniest stories I recall was the arrival greeting at USCG bootcamp in Cape May, NJ. There was a whole room full of us fresh off the bus, still with long hair, still in "civvies". Before we could proceed any further, a Chief (E-7) came into the room to speak with us and also warn us. I remember it well... He said in street language, "Yo, look man, I know some of you all brought some sh** with you. I ain't dumb. This ain't the place for it, man. See that big table over there in the corner? Tell you what... I don't want to know nothing, I don't want to see nothing, okay? Like, there ain't no cops, ain't no security guards, there's just me. So, you be straight with me and I'll be straight with you. You trust me and I'll trust you. I'm gonna leave this room... While I'm gone, I want you to put all your sh** on the table. Do it and do it now while you can - because if you don't and you leave this room, it will be a whole new ballgame!"<br /><br />Man, you should have seen all the paraphenalia on that table! :eek: Rolling papers, bags of weed, pipes, little vials of coke, straws, small tabs of blotter acid, etc...etc... I don't know what the USCG did with it once we left the room. But, it was hilarious seeing people one by one sneak up to the table. I was clean and just stood there watching it all and snickering.<br /><br />Military boot camp can have a lasting impact on a person. You get a doze of reality in 0.2 seconds and learn to become something. You get as much out of it as you put into it. Since I am now retired from the USCG, if there were any way I could come back out of retirement, I'd step right back into my uniform!<br /><br />Butch A.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

ButchA,,,,,there is a way believe it or not. In this month's Readers Digest (yes I read it and not just look at the pictures...or is that the other mag:D :) , but a 58 yr old father of a Marine just re-enlisted and is over in Iraq with his son. This father was a Marine reservist for 30 years and had just retired a year or so earlier. It was a good article!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, KeltonKrew. That's great! :) Hmmmm... I could ask the USCG to rescind my retirement. Wow, wouldn't my boss freak out over that! (I am a computer programmer/Unix system admin with a great company).<br /><br />Butch A.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mark- I'm glad to hear she left.<br /><br />If she is manipulative she might use that to get ahead. Time will tell and everyone deserves the opportunity to excell! <br /><br />I will tell you one thing is for certain, she will be doing a tremendous amount of growing up in the next few months. I hope she returns confident and refined.<br /><br />Bob

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Personally, I do not believe she belongs in the Army, will be able to make any real contribution to the Army and will most likely have many negative experiences while in the Army.
True, she may not be able to make a positive contribution to the Army, but I would imagine the Army will have a positive influence on HER, and she'll come out with more self-discipline and be a much more productive member of society.

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> True, she may not be able to make a positive contribution to the Army, but I would imagine the Army will have a positive influence on HER, and she'll come out with more self-discipline and be a much more productive member of society.
wilkin, the "cheap a**, I hate taxes" part of me is mad that she may just be wasting my money by reporting & being a problem...<br />But the "very rare occasional compassionate" part of me hopes you are right. Really hopes you are right. Best of luck to her & I truly wish her the best.<br />I would also like to take this moment to say thank you to every veteran!

gonfishn

Commander

Mark she has made the right decision by following through with what she committed to..It goes with all decisions you make in the few minutes we are allowed on this earth. <br /><br />Many a vet here had to make that same decision back in the sixtys when our name was called. We went because we felt it in our hearts that it was the right thing to do. Unlike now Nam vets then were treated with scorn and contempt. It is the burden we will carry for the rest of our lives..<br /><br />You tell her that a vet salutes her for doing the right thing. Even though the times ahead will be rough tell her to stay the course. Twenty years from now she will hold her head high when her children are old enough to understand. <br /><br />She has her inner fears as all of us had when we made the decison to protect our country so others could sleep soundly knowing they were protected.<br /><br />I would do it all over again knowing that when my time comes to leave this earth, my fallen friends and comrades will be waiting for me with open arms at the Wall and let me finally come home..<br /><br />Give her all the support you can Mark and let her know how proud you are of her..

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Well things are not going so well for the neice. She is calling home wanting to get out of the Army. Only been a few days. But, as she has found out, no one cooks you special meals, coddles to you, and lets you walk all over them. Or sleep late. So things are not well "at camp". <br /><br />The result is that her fathers side of her family has got an attorney and their trying to raise the $1500 retainer fee he wants, and nieces Mom is going to get power of attorney so she can get some documents from her shrink to say niece is suicidal, depressed, etc. <br /><br />My wife is furious with the way everyone is running to her rescue. I find it both hysterical and tragic at the same time. When are these people going to learn they can't run around cleaning up this young ladies messes for the rest of her life? <br /><br />The plot thickens....<br /><br />Thanks for all the well wishing. I really do wish she would hang in there and do something with her life. But being closer to the situation than all of you folks, I see this as one more disaster in a series of disasterous decisions/actions in this girls life. The difference with this mess is it won't be as easy to clean up as the others.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

all they are doing is hurting her in the long run...mommy and daddy will save me....what happens when mommy and daddy are no longer there! she won't be able to fend for herself.<br /><br />Good luck!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The result is that her fathers side of her family has got an attorney and their trying to raise the $1500 retainer fee he wants, and nieces Mom is going to get power of attorney so she can get some documents from her shrink to say niece is suicidal, depressed, etc. <br /><br />
Save the money. The second Oath of Enlistment was taken and not under duress. If she really had true suicidal history then your neice should reveal it. <br /><br />Keep in mind since the 2d oath was taken she is subject to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Militay Justice) and if the suicide history was true then she could be subjected to a fine and or imprisonment as stated when she filled out the medical forms. <br /><br />Hmmmm....soldier unhappy so blame the Army...I don't think so.<br /><br />The $1500 attorney fees would be better suited in a bank account. If your neice is really not compatable with the service they will discharge her.