Skipping out on Army - What is penalty?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
My wifes niece age 20 recently signed up for the US Army at the local recruiter in Florida. She was scheduled to show up this week for boot camp. She has decided not to go. She said she changed her mind. I believe the army told her she would spend a month in jail if she does not show. She thinks this is OK. Can anyone tell me the consequences of not showing up for boot camp? I think this young lady is in for a surprise.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Skipping out on Army - What is penalty?

Here's what I found in an online article:<br />
A new underground railroad<br />Some soldiers would rather desert than return to Iraq<br />Becky Oberg<br />Service members know the consequences of going absent without leave (unauthorized absence in the Navy) — a maximum penalty of five years confinement, forfeiture of all pay and allowances and a dishonorable discharge. The maximum penalty for desertion in a time of war is death.<br /><br />
Here is a link to an Army Information pamhlet:<br /> https://134.11.61.26/ArchivePub/Publications/DA/DA Pam/DA Pam 630-1 19820101.pdf

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your niece actually signed on the dotted line and took the oath of enlistment, then, she HAS TO report for basic training. There is no two ways about it! But then, once she gets there, she can opt out/cop out/quit within the first 24 hours, but it's not always on the nicest of terms.<br /><br />Butch A.

CATransplant

Admiral

Did she take the oath of enlistment? If so, she needs to show up. If not, then she needs to check with an attorney, because I don't know what the penalty would be for that.

LubeDude

Admiral

The back of her hand may turn red from it being slapped, but thats about it.<br /><br />Our nieces boyfriend a few years back inlisted in the Army and even took about $10,000.00 in inlistment money. Went to basic, came home on leave and never went back. Nothing happened, they never even came after him, they just sent him a dishonorable discharge.<br /><br />This is just plain wrong, but this is what our country has come to.

mattttt25

Commander

the real answer is probably nothing. i'm not 100% sure how it works for enlisted, but i doubt she actually signed a term of enlistment. she probably signed a commitment form, but it doesn't mean much. in reality, if you don't want to be in the military so much that your willing to be jailed over it, we don't want you. you are more of a liability. seasoned troops that desert are a different topic all together.

D

DJ

LubeDude wrote;<br /><br />
This is just plain wrong, but this is what our country has come to.<br />
Agreed. A contract is a contract, is a contract. We, as Americans have no fear or moral obligation, anymore, to abide by them. Look at athletes as the prime example.<br /><br />It's pathetic. There are, I understand, underlying circumstances, in some cases. That is understood.<br /><br />But, to "change one's mind" is not allowed-IMHO.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A Dishonorable Discharge, or even a Bad Conduct Discharge, is like a prison record.<br /><br />She would pay for it for the rest of her life.

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by JB:<br /> A Dishonorable Discharge, or even a Bad Conduct Discharge, is like a prison record.<br /><br />She would pay for it for the rest of her life.
Ahh, JB, you are an idealist, I see :( <br />That is the way it should be, but it isn't. A dishonorable discharge means nothin anymore. Just look at all the US Army haters out there. She'll probably have 15 job offers the same day she deserts, you know, from Greenpeace, PETA, dope smoker lobbies, anti goverment militias, those types. :D <br />I just hope this adult woman hasn't taken any of my money. She can quit, I don't care, but if I spent money on her, I want it back!

D

DJ

TilliamWe wrote;<br /><br />
Ahh, JB, you are an idealist, I see <br />That is the way it should be, but it isn't. A dishonorable discharge means nothin anymore. Just look at all the US Army haters out there.
I'm going out to dinner tonight. If I see a soldier (I will inquire) or his/her family-the dinner is on me!<br /><br />God bless them.

LubeDude

Admiral

When I see a soldier somewhere and Im walking by, I always extend my hand and say thank you. Or if Im not close enough, Ill wave and do the same. Ive even yelled accross a parking lot. As a verteran of the Vietnam era, we never had that.

D

DJ

As a verteran of the Vietnam era, we never had that.<br />
Bless you LD.<br /><br />Rest assured, it wasn't me. My truly heartfelt misgiving in life was that I did not serve. It just did not seem a priority-my misjudgment. Always supported-never served. <br /><br />Hind sight is 20/20.<br /><br />My fault.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My expertise here... I spent 8 years in Army Recruiting and retired from 20 years of active duty. I was in charge of many parts of Army Recruiting.<br /><br />What will happen? Well... nothing. There will not be any jail time, no discharge...<br /><br />The steps she should take.<br />Contact the recruiter and tell him she is not going.<br /><br />This link is to the Army Recruiting Command http://www.usarec.army.mil/bdemap.html <br /><br />Her not wanting to go is apathy and was due to a poor decision and poor follow-up on the part of the recruiter. It is the recruiters responsibility to keep a DEP interested and ready for the enlistment. If She had uneasy feelings the recruiter should have recognized it and if she does not "ship" to Basic Training it should not be a surprise to the recruiter.<br /><br /><br />Ask to speak with the recruiters commander in charge of the recruiting Battalion and she will be able to tell him no. Her reason for becoming a DEP (Delayed entry person) loss is apathy.<br /><br />She will not catch too much grief. The recruiters ARE NOT PERMITTED TO THREATEN any DEP.<br /><br />Questions? E-mail me at RPF924@hotmail<br /><br />Bob

D

DJ

Here's a smart aleck remark.<br /><br />Why not excuse all the 20 something (care nots) and let us old geezers in?<br /><br />We might do worse than all the so called foibles the media accuses (US) of, but we could kick some but and go out with our boots on!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hey Lubedude... Yes I understand perfectly.<br /><br />One of the greatest men I ever met would come through a crowd and shake a soldier in uniforms hand and say "Good job". When I was a recruiter on occassion we would see the late President Nixon in Manhatten at Federal Plaza. If you said good morning to him he would make a point to shake hands. I really respected that man for that.<br /><br />Now that I am retired I make a point of reecognizing soldiers. It's the way it should be despite the end of Viet Nam era.<br /><br />DJ I would go back in a second and serve.<br /><br />Bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Every man or woman in uniform rates a salute from JB. That was true during Nam, too.<br /><br />I made a move against my judgement back in the late 70s. . . hired a guy (former Captain, USA) who had a BCD for "chronic AWOL". I think he deserted and got off easy because he was an officer. Couldn't stop bashing Nixon or the war.<br /><br />He went AWOL on me, too. Came to work when he felt like it, sober or not. Got punched out by a former (is there such a thing?) Marine student. I hired the student to fill the vacancy.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I never served either. I sometimes regret it and admire those who did. I always try to show respect for those in uniform. i will not "Butt in," but I will gesture or say it if the situation is appropriate.<br />This goes for military, firefighters, police, etc. Even though some of these people are doing it for the ego boost, and some are real jerks, they all risk their lives for my safety, and that deserves my utmost respect.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Bob hit it on the head. I took my first oath and signed my papers in Dec 91. By May 92 my mom was about to have to be in a mental hospital over it so I said **** on it. I called the recruiter and said that I couldn't go. All he asked me to do is to sign a paper saying that I was going to enroll in a school and was putting the Army off for now, but maybe later. Right after I had taken my first oath he told me that it wasa just to make us think we are hooked, no true obligation.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Good People,<br /><br />Thank you for all the input.<br /><br />My wife's niece is a bit of a troubled and difficult young woman. Although she does not get in trouble with the law, she has her own unique personal behavior problems that cause distress to the whole family. Basically she is lazy, lies and is very manipulative.<br /><br />She has left for the Army and I am sure that she is in for a big surprise. All those manipulation tactics she uses on her Mom and family just aren't going to work there. Actually, she used the threat of joining to Army to get her way, and it sort of back-fired on her. She didn't get her way, and now she is in the Army. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise! (thank you Gomer Pyle)<br /><br />Personally, I do not believe she belongs in the Army, will be able to make any real contribution to the Army and will most likely have many negative experiences while in the Army. I believe she suffers from a mental disorder and would have a much better quality of life if she followed through with her psychiatrist and got the proper medication. But what do I know. <br /><br />Hopefully, she will come out a better person than she went in. I hope, I hope, I hope....

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br />Got punched out by a former (is there such a thing?) Marine
Dan Rather claimed to be a "former Marine" (dropped out of boot camp) :rolleyes: <br /><br />Bob-VT is 100% correct on this one.