Skinned the underneath of my Toon

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I finally got around to skinning the underneath of my toon today. Had the sheet laying around for a year now just hadn't had the time, now with the eve of boating season I already was getting it ready so figured why not get it done. Now the piece I have wasn't quite long enough for the whole boat, I basically started where the fold up ladder ends and went all the way to the back. My main concern was getting a piece where the water comes back after it comes off the splash guards as I've heard that was going to make the biggest impact.

Go easy on me, it was a free piece so it's not perfectly straight, but hey it's got to help some.

photo (4).jpg

acloward

Cadet
Re: Skinned the underneath of my Toon

You gotta use what you have some times.

I would seal the from edge with something on the front of the skin so you don't get water trapped in side. Heck for the lack of anything else, duct tape until you got more skin. Did you put any caulking or anything between the sheet and the cross braces, and use stainless screws?

bennyboy1

Cadet

nice job!
bet your back and arms were aching.
you'll experience a better ride and maybe more speed, let us know.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah made sure to use stainless screw. I didn't do any kind of caulking or what not because I actually left a little bit of a gap on the edges for water to run out. I had a couple helpers so all in all it wasn't too bad. Took about 30 minutes.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks good to me. I might add a few screws to the bow edge to tighten it up. I tend to agree with the drainage at the side edges.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good to me. I might add a few screws to the bow edge to tighten it up. I tend to agree with the drainage at the side edges.

Looking at that picture I'm thinking the same thing.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before adding screws try going to HD or Lowes and buying a piece of "L" shaped aluminum 3/4" x 3/4" x the length of the bow. Then seal and re-screw or rivet the "L" guard piece on that leading edge. This will just add additional security and water protection. Catching that odd wake or wave can rip anything loose and bend or break loose the skin.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before adding screws try going to HD or Lowes and buying a piece of "L" shaped aluminum 3/4" x 3/4" x the length of the bow. Then seal and re-screw or rivet the "L" guard piece on that leading edge. This will just add additional security and water protection. Catching that odd wake or wave can rip anything loose and bend or break loose the skin.

That's an even better idea. I bet I can actually get a hold of some scrap about the size I would need.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took the advice at added a piece of angle aluminum I had laying around. Really cleaned up the front.

photo.jpg

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, I think that did it,cleaned it up real good, and should solve any problem, except checking so often to see if the screws have loosened up, or if you lost any. Sounds like a job for the wife :laugh:

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah if anything it looks like a more "professional" job. Only took me about 15 minute and most of that was looking for a tape measure. :facepalm: